Volcanoes (Geology 115) – Exam #1 Review
Lecture 4: Plate Tectonics and Zone of Volcanism
Exam #1 will cover all materials from weeks 1 – 6. Exam topics will be from lectures 1 – 5. Exam questions will include multiple choice, true/false, matching, and short answer. Below is a list of questions that outline topics that I may test you on. These questions are intended to help you study, but are not intended to be fully encompassing. However, if you can answer these questions, you should be well prepared. Please note that exam questions will be based on lecture material, homework, and in-class assignments.
1. In general, where do volcanoes form? What is a zone of volcanism? What are three zones of volcanism?
2. Where is magma generated (99% of the time)? What do we know about how magma is generated?
3. Describe the lithosphere and asthenosphere.
4. What is the Plate Tectonics Theory?
a. What are plates made up of?
b. What is a plate boundary?
c. What are two plate boundaries important to volcanoes?
i. What are the general characteristics of each (i.e. general sense of motion, crust destroyed/ created)
5. What are the features of a divergent plate boundary (Be able to define these features)?
a. What type of “volcano” does most lava erupt through at a divergent plate boundary?
b. What are seamounts? Where do they originate? Why do these volcanoes go extinct?
c. What is seafloor spreading?
d. How does the age change from the ridge toward continents?
e. How does the density change?
f. What are the two examples of divergent plate boundaries?
g. Describe the nature of volcanism at divergent zone of volcanism.
6. What are the different types of convergent boundaries? What are the features of each (Be able to define these features)?
a. What is a subduction zone? What determines which crust will subduct?
c. What feature do continental volcanic arcs (volcanic island arcs) parallel?
d. Be able to provide examples of the different convergent plate boundaries as discussed in class.
e. Describe the nature of volcanism at convergent zone of volcanism.
7. Does volcanism only occur at plate boundaries?
a. What is intraplate volcanism? What is the source of magma for intraplate volcanism?
i. What is a mantle plume? Where do mantle plumes originate? What is a hot spot? What is a hot spot track?
ii. What causes the linear nature of the hot spot track?
iii. What happens to the age of volcanoes as the volcanoes are moved away from the hot spot?
b. Be able to provide examples of intraplate volcanism as discussed in class.
c. Describe the nature of volcanism at intraplate zone of volcanism.