People, Places, Concepts and Questions
Terms, Places & People
Health (WHO definition)
Humoral theories of illness/disease
Cultural construction of disability
Three bodies/mindful body approach (Lock and Scheper-Hughes)
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Idiom of distress
1. What do you make of the WHO definition of health and Singer/Baer/Long/Pavlotski’s comment that it is “somewhat utopian and akin to the notion of wellness associated with holistic health and the New Age movements”?
2. What is the difference between disease and illness?
3. How do humoral theories explain disease? What are some ethnographic examples of humoral theories of disease?
4. Do you think anthropologists have a moral responsibility to use medical anthropological knowledge to promote health as a human right and reduce suffering?
5. What is an illness narrative? What are the three types of illness narrative describe in the chapter, and what functions do they serve?
6. What are some of the ways medical anthropologists conceive and analyze the “body”?