National Health Care Professional Licensure
Alternatives to the current system of state-by-state licensure for health care professionals (such as registered nurses) have been considered. The most common alternative proposed has been a national system for licensure.
· What would be the advantages of changing to a national system of licensure? What would be the disadvantages?
– Who supports this change, and why?
– Who opposes, and why?
– Why hasn’t this change occurred? What are the obstacles?
– What would be the advantages of maintaining the status quo of a state-by-state system of licensure? What would be the disadvantages?
– Who supports maintaining the status quo, and why?
– Why does the status quo persist? Why hasn’t change occurred?