. Currie et al. / Sociotechnical Analyis of a Neonatal ICU 261
writer, rather than the senior decision maker. Decision support via CPOE may be the incorrect target in this setting.
In conclusion, we found that the NICU system was a very dynamic setting that was indeed socially constructed. Future research to best methods to provide decision support to key decision makers will be critical in this setting.
References 1. Bates DW, Teich JM, Lee J, Seger D, Kuperman GJ, Ma’Luf N, et al. The Impact of Computerized
Physician Order Entry on Medication Error Prevention. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1999;6(4):313-21. 2. Koppel R, Metlay JP, Cohen A, Abaluck B, Localio AR, Kimmel SE, et al. Role of computerized
physician order entry systems in facilitating medication errors. JAMA. 2005 Mar 9;293(10):1197-203. 3. Kaplan B. Evaluating informatics applications–some alternative approaches: theory, social
interactionism, and call for methodological pluralism. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2001;64(1):39-56.
4. Westbrook JI, Braithwaite J, Georgiou A, Ampt A, Creswick N, Coiera E, et al. Multimethod evaluation of information and communication technologies in health in the context of wicked problems and sociotechnical theory. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007 Nov-Dec;14(6):746-55.
5. Reiman T, Oedewald P. Assessment of complex sociotechnical systems: Theoretical issues concerning use of organizational culture and organizational core task concepts.Safety Science. 2007;45(7):745-68.
6. Jordan JA, Durso MB, Butchko AR, Jones JG, Brozanski BS. Evaluating the Near-Term Infant for Early Onset Sepsis: Progress and Challenges to Consider with 16S rDNA Polymerase Chain Reaction Testing. J Mol Diagn. 2006 July 1, 2006;8(3):357-63.
7. Thursky KA. Use of computerized decision support systems to improve antibiotic prescribing. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy. 2006;4(3):491-507.
8. Tan K, Dear PRF, Newell SJ. Clinical decision support systems for neonatal care. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2005;Reviews 2005(2).
9. Shojania KG, Yokoe D, Platt R, Fiskio J, Ma’luf N, Bates DW. Reducing Vancomycin Use Utilizing a Computer Guideline: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1998 November 1, 1998;5(6):554-62.
Email address for correspondence: [email protected]
L. Currie et al. / Sociotechnical Analyis of a Neonatal ICU262