1. The nurse recognizes application of heat will cause what to…
1. The nurse recognizes application of heat will cause what to occur in the vascular system?
2. Of the following patients, which would the nurse not apply a heat application?
|a.||The patient with unstable angina and severe cardiomyopathy.|
|b.||The patient complaining of muscle spasms.|
|c.||The patient complaining of muscle tension due to a high stress job.|
|d.||The patient with an infection to the knee.|
3. The patient request application of heat to the chest. Of the following medications, which would the nurse not want to apply heat over?
|a.||Norco 5/325 2 tabs p.o. q 6 hours prn pain.|
|b.||Lubriderm lotion topical bid to both arms.|
|c.||Fentanyl patch 75mcg topical q 72 hours.|
|d.||ASA 81mg p.o. daily.|
4. In the care of the elderly patient, the nurse recognizes long-term use of which of the following medication may predispose the patient to risk for injury from application of heat or cold?
|a.||Lopressor (metoprolol) 50mg p.o. bid.|
|b.||Plavix 75mg p.o. daily.|
|c.||Prednisone 40mg p.o. bid.|
|d.||Lasix 20mg p.o. bid.
5. Application of cold will cause what to occur locally and systemically?
6. The nurse caring for the patient who has presented to the minor emergency with a recent muscle sprain will want to ensure ice is applied in what time frame?