Scenario: Imagine that you are a key member of an interprofessional…
Scenario: Imagine that you are a key member of an interprofessional team at a medium-sized community healthcare organization. Your team is tasked with recommending a specific EBP model to be adopted across the organization, to guide the overall approach to EBP through the organization’s healthcare system. Note that examples of where the model could fit in the organization might include providing education, bringing in the best evidence, a change initiative, or it could be new guidelines or a policy. Consider that you wish to decrease the amount of time it takes to get evidence to the point of care within this organization’s framework. You are expected to present the team’s recommendations at the next shared governance meeting.
- Types of EBP Models: Evaluate the differences between the John Hopkins nursing evidence-based practice model, the Iowa change model, and advancing research and clinical practice through close collaboration (ARCC) model. The goal is to determine which EBP model would be most appropriate. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- What types of models are used in EBP?
- How would you determine which EBP model is most appropriate?
- Vision: Explain which EBP model is the best for implementing in a specific practice setting. This model could be for a change in practice, a policy update, or a clinical practice guideline revision. It needs to be congruent with the mission and vision. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- Why is it important to choose an EBP model to support the goals and vision of an organization?
- How does the culture of an organization influence the selection of a model for an EBP plan?
- How can an organization use a model to improve safety through an EBP plan?
- Why is it important for individuals in the organization to believe in the change?
- Strategic Plan: Explain the strategic plan to implement an EBP model. As you work, address the strengths and potential barriers to implementing the plan throughout the organization. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- Why is it important for any organization to adopt a common model to guide EBP?
- Which stakeholders will you need to involve to guide the strategic plan to practice?
- What are some strategies to overcome the barriers to implementing an EBP model?