New Jersey City University
Emergency Personnel Fitness
Section I: Knowledge & Comprehension
A. List a few of the many physical and physiologic benefits to be gained through routine circuit-type
1. __________________________________. 2. ____________________________________.
3. __________________________________. 4. ____________________________________.
5. __________________________________. 6. ____________________________________.
B. Prior to beginning your resistance exercise circuit, what two things should you do to optimize your
7. __________________________________. 8. ____________________________________.
C. If you are relatively new to this type of activity, it is highly recommended that you begin your
strength training with the sue of what type of resistance equipment. Why?
9. __________________________________. ______________________________________
D. Once you have developed your lifting technique and skills, it may be quite beneficial for you to
switch to the use of what type of resistance equipment. Why?
10. _________________________________. ______________________________________
E. With the circuit-type resistance training program, the (negative) eccentric movement which returns
you to the start position of the exercise should be completed in approximately how many seconds?
F. With the circuit-type resistance training program, the powerful concentric movement into the
exercise should take approximately how many seconds to complete?
G. Should you hold your breathe while executing a resistance exercise? Support your answer.
13. _________. _____________________________________________________________.
H. Describe how you should breathe when completing resistance training exercises.
I. What is the potential value in stretching and completing some low intensity aerobic training after
completing a rigorous circuit training routine?
J. Approximately how many repetitions and how intense should the resistance be in your resistance
training program if it is your primary interest to increase your muscular strength?
K. Approximately how many repetitions and how intense should the resistance be in your resistance
training program if it is your primary interest to increase your muscular endurance?
L. As a general rule, how many resistance training sessions should you complete each week to obtain
excellent training effect?