Instructions: Choose 4 of the 5 questions below and write a short essay IN YOUR OWN WORDS for each. Be sure to use specific examples from the textbook to support your claims, but do not just copy from the text. Write your answers out in this form (click the Submit Assignment button to start). 25 points each (100 points total).
1) What were the different ideas about how to deal with slavery? Of these various approaches, which one do you find to be the most effective and why? (HINT: ch. 13)
2) John Brown is often described as a terrorist. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not? What attributes might make him fit this profile? In what ways was John Brown a hero? (HINT: ch. 14)
3) Could the differences between the North and South have been worked out in late 1860 and 1861? Could war have been avoided? Provide evidence to support your answer. (HINT: ch. 15)
4) What role did women and African Americans play in the war? (HINT: ch. 15)
5) Consider social, political, and economic equality. In what ways did Radical Reconstruction address and secure these forms of equality? Where did it fall short? (HINT: ch. 16)
You MUST read the chapters and then answer the questions in your own words using examples from the textbook. You will not do well trying to cram it all in the day before it is due.
Please also stick to the textbook and stay away from “flash card” websites, etc. They are usually incomplete answers, and the temptation to copy and paste has proven too great for many of you.