Project Integration and Scope Management – Running Case
Complete the two tasks associated with project integration management and the three tasks associated with project scope management (…total of five tasks) Put all your work on a one word document. Separate your tasks beheadings and page inserts. Remember… turn your work in on a word document as ONE attachment for grading.
***Note: This running case starts here and continues through the rest of the course. Tasks based on this case are explained following the case study. These tasks will begin to build on work done in previous weeks.
Project Integration Management: Case Study
Manage Your Health, Inc. (MYH) is a Fortune 500 company that provides a variety of healthcare services across the globe. MYH has more than 20,000 full-time employees and more than 5,000 part-time employees. MYH recently updated its strategic plan; key goals include reducing internal costs, increasing cross-selling of products, and exploiting new Web-based technologies to help employees, customers, and suppliers work together to improve the development and delivery of healthcare products and services. Below are some ideas the IT department has developed for supporting these strategic goals:
1. Recreation and Wellness Intranet Project: Provide an application on the current intranet to help employees improve their health. A recent study found that MYH, Inc. pays 20 percent more than the industry average for employee healthcare premiums, primarily due to the poor health of its employees. You believe that this application will help improve employee health within one year of its rollout so that you can negotiate lower health insurance premiums, providing net savings of at least $30/employee/year for full-time employees over the next four years. This application would include the following capabilities:
o Allow employees to register for company-sponsored recreational programs, such as soccer, softball, bowling, jogging, and walking.
o Allow employees to register for company-sponsored classes and programs to help them manage their weight, reduce stress, stop smoking, and manage other health-related issues.
o Track data on employee involvement in these recreational and health-management programs.
o Offer incentives for people to join the programs and do well in them (e.g., incentives for achieving weight goals, winning sports team competitions, etc.).
2. Health Coverage Costs Business Model: Develop an application to track employee healthcare expenses and company healthcare costs. Healthcare premiums continue to increase, and the company has changed insurance carriers several times in the past 10 years. This application should allow business modeling of various scenarios as well as tracking and analyzing current and past employee healthcare expenses and company healthcare costs. This application must be secure and run on the current intranet so several managers and analysts can access it and download selected data for further analysis. The new application must also import data from the current systems that track employee expenses submitted to the company and the company’s costs to the insurance provider. You believe that having this data will hel pyou revise policies concerning employee contributions to healthcare premiums and help you negotiate for lower premiums with insurance companies. You estimate that this application would save your company about $20/employee/year for fulltime employees over the next four years and cost about $100,000 to develop.
3. Cross-Selling System: Develop an application to improve cross-selling to current customers. The current sales management system has separate sections for major product and service categories and different sales reps based onthose products and services. You see great opportunities to increase sales to current customers by providing discounts when they purchase multiple products and services. You estimate that this system would increase profits by $1 million each year for the next three years and cost about $800,000 each year for development and maintenance.
4. Web-Enhanced Communications System: Develop a Web-based application to improve development and delivery of products and services. There are currently several incompatible systems related to the development and delivery of products and services to customers. This application would allow customers and suppliers to provide suggestions, enter orders, view the status and history of orders, and use electronic commerce capabilities to purchase and sell their products. You estimate that this system would save your company about $2 million each year for three years after implementation. You estimate that the system will take one year and $3 million to develop and require 20 percent of development costs each year to maintain.
Project Integration Management: Assignment (2 Tasks)
Evaluate the four projects by preparing a weighted scoring model using the template provided. Develop at least four criteria, assign weights to each criterion, assign scores, and then calculate the weighted scores. Write a one-page paper that describes this weighted scoring model and the results. Copy your spreadsheet and bar chart with the results to the memo.
Prepare a project charter for the recreation and wellness intranet project. Assume that the project will take six months to complete and cost about $200,000. Use the charter template provided and the sample project charter provided in chapter 4 as guides.
Project Scope Management: Case Study
Managers at Manage Your Health, Inc. (MYH) selected Tony Prince as the project manager for the Recreation and Wellness Intranet Project. The schedule goal is six months, and the budget is $200,000. Tony has previous project management and systems analysis experience within the company, and he is an avid sports enthusiast. Tony was starting to put the project team together. He knew he would have to develop a survey to solicit input from all employees about the new system and make sure it was user-friendly.
Recall that this system would include the following capabilities:
· Allow employees to register for company-sponsored recreational programs, such as soccer, softball, bowling, jogging, and walking.
· Allow employees to register for company-sponsored classes and programs to help them manage their weight, reduce stress, stop smoking, and manage other health-related issues.
· Track data on employee involvement in these recreational and health-management programs.
· Offer incentives for people to join the programs and do well in them (e.g., incentives for achieving weight goals, winning sports team competitions, etc.).
Assume that MYH would not need to purchase any additional hardware or software for the project.
Project Scope Management: Assignment (3 Tasks)
Develop a first version of a scope statement for the project. Use the template provided. Be as specific as possible in describing product characteristics and requirements, as well as all of the project’s deliverables. Be sure to include testing and training as part of the project scope.
Develop a work breakdown structure (WBS) for the project. Use the template. Break down the work to Level 3 or Level 4, as appropriate. This WBS should be based on the project charter you created in week 3 and the project scope statement you created in the previous task.
Use the WBS you developed begin creating a Gantt chart using Microsoft Project. Do not enter any durations or dependencies. Copy the resulting Gantt chart onto a word document be sure to display the entire Task Name column.