History tells us how we got where we are. Before trying to change something as complex as the healthcare system, it is essential to understand why it is structured the way it is. Today’s healthcare system in the United States is complex and significantly different from what it used to be. The healthcare system has not only undergone drastic changes in past decades but also continues to evolve. What are the factors that are driving the changes? How is healthcare delivered differently from in the past? How are the changes impacting stakeholders? All of these are important questions to ask in order to achieve continuous improvement in the healthcare system.
This assignment will help you explore the history of the healthcare system in the United States and analyze the importance of history in reforming the policies and laws for improvement. You will analyze the influence of stakeholders on the formation and reformation of policies and laws. Also, you will describe how the needs and interests of stakeholders and interest groups influence the decision-making process. This assignment will help you understand how the healthcare system has evolved in the United States and the role of stakeholders in this evolution.
To complete this assignment, share your research findings on the chosen health law or policy. Essentially, you will select one healthcare policy or law in the United States and conduct research to understand its history and importance in the decision-making process. Using Bardach’s eightfold path model, you will analyze the policy and explain the role of stakeholders in policy or law reformation. Last, you will describe the key stakeholders you identified as drivers for your chosen policy or law.
You must cite at least three sources to support your claims. .
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Selection of the Policy or Law: Describe the policy or law you have selected, explaining why you have chosen this policy or law.
- History of Policy or Law: Describe the history of the policy or law you have chosen, explaining why it is essential. Consider the following questions in your response:
- Why is understanding the history of the policy or law essential in decision making about the policy or law?
- What are the three significant milestones and driving factors in the history of the chosen policy or law?
- Influence of Stakeholders and Interest Groups: Using Bardach’s eightfold path model, describe how stakeholders and interest groups can be involved when approaching change in the chosen policy or law. Consider the following questions in your response:
- Who are the key stakeholders and interest groups for the selected policy or law?
- What could be the impact of noninvolvement of stakeholders and interest groups in policy or law reformation?
- How do the needs and interests of stakeholders and interest groups impact the change in the chosen policy or law?
- Key Drivers of Policy or Law: Explain how stakeholders were key drivers for the chosen policy or law. Consider the following questions in your response:
- Which key stakeholders are key drivers as well for the policy or law?
- Which stakeholders and/or interest groups are most impacted by the chosen policy or law?
- Proposed Changes or Amendments: Explain what you would like to see changed in the chosen policy or law and why. Consider the following questions in your response:
- How will you approach the change implementation process?
- In five years, how will historical reviewers view your proposed changes?
- How will these changes benefit underserved/vulnerable populations?
Guidelines for Submission
Your submission should be a 3- to 5-page you must also include an APA-style title page. Use 12-point Times New Roman font, double spacing, and 1-inch margins. Sources should be cited according to APA style.