We have covered a variety of topics in the first half of the course. Although many of these concepts are at the forefront of your mind now, it may be difficult to incorporate them in the future.
Select three concepts you have learned thus far that you will be easily able to incorporate into your future research and explain why.
Select another three concepts that you have difficulty envisioning how you will incorporate them and explain why.
i have included 2 students responses – to see as examples also
Student two : response to assignment
We have covered a variety of topics in the first half of the course. Although many of these concepts are at the forefront of your mind now, it may be difficult to incorporate them in the future. Select three concepts you have learned thus far that you will be easily able to incorporate into your future research and explain why. Select another three concepts that you have difficulty envisioning how you will incorporate them and explain why.
**Unstructured interviews in qualitative research are used to gather information. Rapports in this manner should be established initially to gather the information the is needed in the interview that does not carry a biased view. Answers should be honest and conscience. Interviews are conducted in a natural setting and questions and answers not forced. In my study, interviews would be one on one so that the interviewee is not stressed or scared to answer the questions in a honest manner. **Rating scale of quantitive mesarch can be used in my study for the design of a questionnaire that can be used to receive and gather information from victims. Questionnaires can be done in private and kept anonymous. Saving time compared to open interviews as well as it keep the interviewee in a state of trust. **Data analysis in qualitative research is also very useful and takes variables that are controlled to correlate factors with statistics or numerical value. This is helpful in my study due to I would like to quantify how many victims of sex trafficking there are and hopefully be able to show a decline and a possible prevention in the field. Depending on the validity of the information gathered, this information is valuable to the research.
**Open ended research such as interpreting qualitative research depending on many factor can pose as difficult as the information would be so quantified that it would be difficult to come to a clear point while studying data to be able to narrow it down. **Extraneous variables involved in open questionnaires can be determined by attitude or mood from current or previous incidents. Triggers can be difficult for interviewee to ignore. ** Variability of data quantity can be difficult due to the large amount in information that I needed to be sorted through to gather the correct quality of information needed for a study. This takes lots of time and is very costly.
Student one : response to assignment
Three concepts that I find easy to incorporate in my research are:
1) Unstructured interviews in qualitative research these are helpful in gathering information. Some rapport should be establish initially in order to have information. If conducted in natural setting they would be helpful in leading to the exact goal. For eg: I want to conduct research about raising autistic kids, if I have word with teachers or parents in the school environment it would fetch me good results.
2) Rating scale of quantitative research – This is the most easiest thing. One needs to design questionnaire, it eliminates subjectivity to large extent and it is also time saving compared to open end questionnaire if we take the same example, then designing of tasks performed by the autistic kids would give a fair idea about their motor skills.
3) Data analysis in qualitative research – This is also very easy to incorporate as extraneous variables are controlled, we can have co relation factor, standard deviation or very simple average factor. We can have perfect study or it may reach to that level.
Three difficult concepts that I find difficultly envisioning how I will incorporate into research are:
1) Interpreting qualitative research – since it would be open ended, there would lot of ideas, creativity etc., so by in large it would be difficult to come to point while studying everybody’s data. It is difficult to map down data from the information.
2) Extraneous variables involved in open end questionnaire, subject may tell as per his current mood or motive. There can be any past event or incident which may trigger his mind while describing a question. Hence a great needs to be taken while interpreting data.
3) Variability of data quantity – In order to perform this research a large amount of participants are required to come to a point, small no. of people may not work. It is very expensive and time consuming task.
Lewandowski, G. W., Ciarocco, N. J, & Strohmetz, D. B. (2019). Discovering the Scientist Within: Research Methods in Psychology (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Macmillan Higher Education