Extra Credit #5
White House Rules There Will Be No Debt-Limit Concessions with Federal Budget Negotiations
Biden Global Plan for Vaccinations
Biden Lifts COVID Travel Restrictions from Europe
Crisis At With Haitians at the Border
Vaccine Approval for Children Moves Closer
Rise in Number of Babies with Syphilis Presents Health Crisis
Biden Address the United Nations
Conversation with the Nation’s Katha Pollitt with Amy Litchfield, “The Future of Roe v. Wade,” Wednesday, 9/22 9:00 am, register for link at The Nation Magazine, https://www.thenation.com/events/roe-v-wade-abortion/ (Links to an external site.) for link ($10 fee).
Outrage from Congress Over Migrants at the Border and US Response
Profile of Candidates Running for Mayor of Los Angeles
L.A. Cracks down on “out of control protests”
Pressure for Companies to Share Vaccine Technology
Meeting of Federal Reserve regarding interest rates
House Passes spending Bill and Debt Limit Increase
How Does Putin Shape Russia
L.A. County Sheriff’s Department Accused of Targeting Political Enemies
California Water Problem
Biden and Generation Gap
Senior Diplomat to Haiti Resigns Due to Witnessing Inhuman Treatment at the Border
New Climate Rule Targeting Refrigerants
EXTRA CREDIT- POLITICAL THEORY
Extra Credit will be announced throughout the session. Feel free to attempt as many extra credits as possible. It cannot hurt your grade, only help! It also is very useful in building up your critical thinking/analytical skills. I recommend that you turn it in as we go along so that I can give you feedback. Nevertheless, all extra credit is due on the date stated in your syllabus. Please group them by week and submit together. Article analysis as well as T.V./Radio analysis can be worth up to 10 points apiece. Meetings – city council/school board, etc. can be worth up to 25 points. Extra Credit dies not make up for missed assignments, it is only added on to completed work.
· Podcasts – example NY Times Daily
· Frontline – PBS, 10:00 pm Tuesdays or online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/
· National Public Radio – Any political program (discussing important public issues of the day) KPFK, 90.7 FM, KCRW, 89.7 FM, KPCC, 89.3FM or online at “station.org”
· City Council Meetings – look in your local paper or call city hall for day/time
· Article Analysis – any topic that I announce in-class you can read about in the LA Times, NY Times, etc. and write up an analysis
· all extra work must include a short but detailed summary of the topic
· it must all include key issues raised that are important to the political system
· it must include a discussion of weakness/strengths of the program, article, etc.; see if you can identify the author’s ideology and briefly discuss
· finally, it must include your opinion about the topic
As stated above extra credit is added on to completed assignments. I always add extra credit points to the core assignments first. Any leftover extra credit points would be added to Written Exercises. The way extra credit is weighted is as follows:
Meetings, lectures, exhibits, etc. up to 25 points each
Article Analysis, Radio, T.V. etc. up to 10 points each
50 points extra credit could increase a midterm, final, or paper grade by half a percentage point. For example, if you received a “B+” on the midterm, 50 points of extra credit would increase your midterm grade to an “A-“.
Make sure to cite sources.
All extra credit should be typed double-spaced.