Decide whether each sentence contains a simile or a metaphor. Write the word SIMILE if the sentence contains a simile. Write the word METAPHOR if the sentence contains a metaphor.
1. The baby was like an octopus, grabbing at all the cans on the grocery store shelves.
2. As the teacher entered the room she muttered under her breath, “This class is like a three-ring circus!”
3. The giant’s steps were thunder as he ran toward Jack.
4. The pillow was a cloud when I put my head upon it after a long day.
5. I feel like a limp dishrag.
6. Those girls are like two peas in a pod.
7. The fluorescent light was the sun during our test.
8. No one invites Harold to parties because he’s a wet blanket.
9. The bar of soap was a slippery eel during the dog’s bath.
10. Ted was as nervous as a cat with a long tail in a room full of rocking chairs.
Literary Devices Rubric
|Ability to correctly identify poetic devices||Demonstrates thorough knowledge of poetic literary devices.||Demonstrates considerable knowledge of poetic literary devices||Demonstrates some knowledge of poetic literary devices||Demonstrates limited knowledge of poetic literary devices||Lack of knowledge of poetic literary devices|