This assignment ties into the Thesis outline 2. Once the outline is completed write the essay based off of the thesis outline. Mandatory sources and instructions will be attached
MANDATORY SOURCES FOR ASSIGNMENT
1. Climate change and the provision of biodiversity in public temperate forests – A mechanism design approach for the implementation of biodiversity conservation policies
2. Why conserve biodiversity? A multi-national exploration of stakeholders’ views on the arguments for biodiversity conservation
3. Modelling the washoff of pollutants in various forms from an urban catchment
4. Climate change reduces resilience to fire in subalpine rainforests
5. Global forest loss disproportionately erodes biodiversity in intact landscapes
In Module/Week 5, you must write a 1,000–1,200-word ethical argument essay from the thesis/outline that you submitted in Module/Week 4. Your assignment is to develop an ethical essay following the Rogerian Model of argument. The research sources for this essay have been provided for you in our course. Any additional sources that you may choose to use must be credible academic sources. You must include at least 4 quotations, 1 summary, and 1 paraphrase (6 total) into your essay from at least 3 credible sources to support your thesis statement and provide opposing arguments acknowledging common ground as emphasized in Rogerian argument. Be sure to document your sources correctly according to your documentation style (Current APA, MLA, or Turabian). You may include biblical support, but it does not count in the required citations.
Ethical Essay Prompt
Topic: Human Responsibility for the Environment
· Chapter 4 in last week’s textbook readings includes a general outline for the Rogerian Model of Argument.
· Chapter 14 in last week’s textbook readings includes sample student outlines and student essays for an ethical (Rogerian) essay written in each of the documentation styles (APA, MLA, and Turabian).
· Review the Proofreading Checklist (below) to understand the content that you must include in your essay assignment this week.
· Review the Essay 2 Grading Rubric in the course before submitting your essay assignment.
|Reading & Study Application||Successful||Needs Revision|
|1. Introduction: Establishes the ethical principle and states the essay’s thesis|
|2. Background: Gives an overview of the situation and provides necessary information about the topic|
|3. Ethical analysis: Explains the ethical principle and analyzes the particular situation on the basis of this principle|
|4. Evidence in support of the thesis: integrates a total of at least 6 quotes, summaries, and/or paraphrases from at least 3 credible sources|
|5. Finds common ground as required by Rogerian model of argument|
|6. Refutation of opposing arguments: Addresses objections and refutes them in a clear and respectful way|
|7. Conclusion: Restates the ethical principle as well as the thesis (not in the exact words); includes a strong concluding statement|
|8. Contains pathos (emotional) appeals, (values/belief) appeals, and/or logos (factual) appeals- as appropriate|
|9. Title reflects issue and ethics|
|10. Uses only third person pronouns (all first and second person pronouns have been removed)|
|11. If using current APA format, contains properly formatted, title, and references pageIf using current MLA format, contains a properly formatted Works Cited pageIf using current Turabian format, contains a properly formatted title page and bibliography page|
|12. Double spaced; 12-point Times New Roman font|
|13. Uses signal phrases and appropriate transitions|
|14. References/Works Cited/ Bibliography page includes all sources cited within the body of the essay|
|15. Checked spelling, grammar/mechanics|
Submitting the Assignment
When you are satisfied with the quality of your essay, submit in the course via the SafeAssign link for grading. Do not forget to write your degree program and whether you are using current MLA, APA, or Turabian in the “Submission Title” field when submitting your essay.
IMPORTANT: Fully cite all quotations, summaries, and paraphrases used within your essay, or those excerpts will be regarded as plagiarism and will result in a “0” on your essay and possible course failure.
Submit this assignment by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 5.
Page 1 of 3