Write the Final Report Evaluating AWS and
Now that you have completed your research, shared your ideas with colleagues, and explored the
two vendors, it is time to compile your findings and recommendations for the BallotOnline
executives. You may find these considerations for cloud provider selection helpful in making
Use the Final Report Evaluating AWS and Azure Providers Template to write your report.
Check Your Evaluation Criteria
Before you submit your assignment, review the competencies below, which your instructor will
use to evaluate your work. A good practice would be to use each competency as a self-check to
confirm you have incorporated all of them. To view the complete grading rubric, click My Tools,
select Assignments from the drop-down menu, and then click the project title.
• 2.2: Locate and access sufficient information to investigate the issue or problem.
• 2.3: Evaluate the information in a logical and organized manner to determine its value
and relevance to the problem.
• 2.4: Consider and analyze information in context to the issue or problem.
• 2.5: Develop well-reasoned ideas, conclusions or decisions, checking them against
relevant criteria and benchmarks.
• 5.4: Articulate insights to leadership on the appropriate course of direction on the
identified IT business needs.
• 6.1: Articulate the systems architecture of the cloud – cloud infrastructure, cloud service,
cloud platform, and cloud storage.
• 6.6: Evaluate and select cloud providers (AWS, Azure, VMware, Google Cloud, IBM).
• 6.8: Review, evaluate, and utilize emerging technologies related to cloud to support
Considerations for Cloud Provider Selection
Selecting cloud providers involves making decisions in several business and technical areas.
From a technical point of view, the most important element is whether the provider can satisfy
technical IT requirements. Below are some examples of questions you should ask. Not all of
them will be applicable for BallotOnline.
• Does the compute offering include the type of servers you need? • If needed, is automatic auto scale and load balancing available? • Are the required services (database, networking, storage) available? • Is the security zone isolation and secure remote access to them available? • Is the geographical distribution of data centers available? Does the provider support fast
connectivity between them to implement a high availability solution? • Is the application migration and deployment easy? Does the provider make migration tools and
automatic deployment available? • How fast is the server and application environment provisioning? • Are the features available for application management, monitoring, and auditing? Are they easy
to use? • Does the vendor use any open-source software solutions, or are all the proprietary ones that
could lock you down into using their services? • Are the cloud provisioning and management features available programmatically via application
programming Interfaces, in case you would like to automate your deployments? • In case you would consider moving your application development and testing to the cloud, are
DevOps (automated development and operations) services available?
Regarding business requirements, here are examples of issues to consider:
• Are the vendor contracts and service-level agreements acceptable? Do they satisfy your requirements for deployment availability, support, and conflict resolution?
• Is the vendor willing to customize your contract if needed? • If your industry requires companies to follow specific standards and acquire certifications (such
as financial or health care industry standards), does the vendor follow them? • If the application is to be used in different geographies which may have data privacy and
security rules (such as the European Union), can the vendor support it? • Are your application security requirements satisfied? Can the application and access to it be
audited in case of problems? • How do application deployment and server prices compare? • What is the range and depth of supported services? Do they include new cloud industry trends
so that the provider is “future-proof”?
Cloud Industry Forum. (n.d.). 8 criteria to ensure you select the right cloud service provider.
Retrieved from https://www.cloudindustryforum.org/content/8-criteria-ensure-you-select-right-
Markey, S. C. (n.d.). Selecting a cloud service provider. Retrieved from