Answer the following questions to the best of your ability:
1) Describe Native America societies prior to European contact. What are some examples of how their civilizations varied by region across North and South America?
2) What was the Columbian Exchange? Give at least 5 examples, (be specific with details). What are some effects this had on both the Old and New Worlds?
3) Briefly describe the relationship between Powhatan and the English colonists of Virginia Colony in the 17thcentury. How did they help one another? How did they oppose one another?
4) Refer to the website below on the Mayflower Compact, 1620. What do the writers claim their purpose was in founding a colony (Plymouth)? What do the writers claim is their purpose in establishing this charter?
*copy/paste into your browser to answer the questions above:https://avalon.law.yale.edu/17th_century/mayflower.asp
5) What was the major cash crop of the English colonies around the Chesapeake Bay (e.g., Virginia and Maryland)? What unfree laborers primarily worked that crop for wealthier landowners in the 17th century? What unfree laborers were the predominant labor force on plantations as the 18th century wore on?
6) Describe the First and Second Great Awakenings. What were some similarities between those movements? What were some differences?
7) What are at least 4 factors that led to the American Revolution? Briefly describe each one.
8) Describe the influence of Enlightenment ideals on the Constitution? What were three (3) major compromises that were necessary to gain enough support to ratify the Constitution (describe them)?
9) What was the “Revolution of 1800” and why is it important, even today?
10) What was the Louisiana Purchase? Give three examples of long-term consequences of the US acquiring that territory?
11) Throughout the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, what are some of the ways in which American Indian peoples interacted with European (and later, American) settlers? What were some of the strategies which American Indian tribes used to navigate European and US expansion?
12) Describe the difference between northern and southern states in the US between 1800 and 1850. What were some of their defining characteristics?
13) What factors prompted the South to secede from the United States in 1860/1861? What was Pres. Lincoln’s response? What were 3 consequences of the Civil War?
14) Describe Reconstruction. Did it work (how and/or how not)?