This week, we learned about some initial court procedures including probable cause hearings, pre-trial release, preliminary hearings and the discovery process. We also learned about the role of the Grand Jury and the plea-bargaining process. For your Unit 4 Complete assignment, write a narrative essay (minimum 1200 words) in which you address and discuss the questions and statements listed below. Use at least three scholarly sources and remember to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the READ and ATTEND sections in your essay. Quote your sources in APA format.
- What is the initial appearance? What is its purpose? Also, what is the probable cause hearing and its purpose?
- What methods of pretrial release are available? Define each.
- What is the preliminary hearing? What is its purpose? When is it required? Include what rights the defendant enjoys during a preliminary hearing.
- Summarize the discovery process.
- Describe the make-up, duties and investigative powers of the grand jury.
- What is plea bargaining? Provide some arguments for and against plea bargaining.