Developmental Assessment Assignment — 25%
Child and Adolescent Development
Due: Week 3 (Thursday May 27th, 2021) by 11:59pm
The purpose of this Assignment is to reflect on and demonstrate your ability to observe and assess varying developmental factors that children display. We study development from prenatal (conception to birth) into infancy (0-2yrs), early childhood (3-5/6yrs, middle childhood (6/7 to 11yrs) and adolescence (12 to 19yrs). Consider what developmental expectations you already have for these varying age groups and abilities. In this assignment, we will consider the 4 domains of Cognitive Development, Social Development, Emotional Development and Physical Development.
Your duty is to:
1. Reflect upon what is considered to be typical development according to what you know, have learned, according to your own development, cultural values and societal expectations.
2. Observe different aged children interacting. This can be done through observation videos that I have provided here, or you have researched on your own. You are welcome to observe your child or sibling or someone you may know as long as you have been given permission to do so. Your job is to focus on the child’s cognitive, social, emotional and physical abilities and development for their age.
3. While you are observing, you will make observational notes on the young person’s (in)capabilities. Identify and describe behaviors that you identify as age appropriate, above age level expectations or below age level expectations. You will explain what makes you give the assessment that you have given. Back your assessment with a reference to support your theory.
This assignment requires you to complete 4 developmental assessment sheets, one for each developmental domain, after observing a young person at play or in interaction with others. You will provide an example of what you observed, identify the developmental domain you are addressing and discuss why you assess this as a thriving, underdeveloped or typical development pattern. You will find a reference that backs your assessment and incorporate into your assessment.
NOTE: You will get more out of this assignment if you have the permission to observe a young person face to face or live however, I have also attached links that will support in any difficulty in finding a young person to observe.
Some important expectations for this assignment:
· Fill in all sections of the developmental assessment domains
· Use full sentences for this assignment
· Provide references that back your assessment
· Title Page and Reference Page are expected
· 500 to 750 words per Developmental Domain x 4 Domains
· Complete the client ID information
· Utilize a pseudonym for the client for the purposes of confidentiality
· Review the rubric for assignment grade breakdown
Links for observational videos
|RubricDevelopmental Assessment Paper|
|Assessment Sheets||· Completes 2 domains identifying above typical development· Completes 2 domains identifying below typical development· Student may trade out one of the domains for identifying typical development· Reference backing your assessments· 500-750 words per domain· Description of the behavior· Completed observational details· References and in text citations19-25 marks||· Completes 2 domains of strength· Completes 1 domain with developmental gapsOR· Completes 1 domain of strength· Completes 2 domains with developmental gaps· In correct APA formatting· Lacks information/example· Less than 500 words· Completes observational details· References & citations need work11-18 marks||· Completes 1 domain of strength· Completes 1 domain with developmental gaps· Not APA formatted· Lacks references throughout· Less than 400 words per Assessment· Example requires more information· Incomplete observational details· References or Citations missing6-10 marks||· Completes 1 domain of strength· Completes 0 domains with developmental gapsOR· Completes 0 domains of strength· Completes 1 domain with developmental gaps· No References· No APA formatting· No information for observational details.0-5 marks||/25|
|Mark DeductionsUp to 3 marks can be deducted for the following:||· Spelling· Grammar· Sentence structure||-1-1-1|
|Late mark deductions||10% deducted for each day late||# of days late =|
|Developmental Assessment Assignment||Due in Week 3|
|Observation details:Pseudonym:Age:Stage of Development:Identified gender:Cultural identity:Risk/Resiliency notes:|
|First domain of developmental strength: [ ] cognitive [ ] physical [ ] emotional [ ] socialDescribe a thriving development in one of the domains:|
|Second domain of developmental strength: [ ] cognitive [ ] physical [ ] emotional [ ] socialDescribe a thriving development in one of the domains:|
|First developmental gap in a domain: [ ] cognitive [ ] physical [ ] emotional [ ] socialDescribe an underdevelopment of one the domains:|
|Second developmental gap in a domain: [ ] cognitive [ ] physical [ ] emotional [ ] socialDescribe the underdevelopment of one of the domains:|