MALIGNANT HYPERTHERMIA GUIDED CASE STUDY
Please watch the following videos for Malignant Hyperthermia. The last video is for this Guided Case Study.
· Malignant Hyperthermia- Everything You Need to Know- Dr. Nabil Ebraheim (5:51)
· Malignant Hyperthermia- Education (5:10)
· Malignant Hyperthermia Crisis Simulation (5:21)
· Mixing of Dantrolene (4:45)
1. What is the patient’s past medical history?
2. Is there anything in his past medical history that puts this patient at risk?
3. What are the triggering agents/medications for MH?
4. What are some of the signs and symptoms of MH?
5. What are some of the differential diagnoses to consider?
6. What was the first indicator that MH is occurring?
7. How is MH managed?
8. This patient weighs 70 kg. How much of the desired medication should he receive? How many vials?
* Be prepared to discuss this patient in the debriefing session.
* Complete these answers, submit to the drop box.
* Complete a drug card on the medication used in this scenario (attached)
|Brand Name&Generic Name|
|Mechanism of Action|
|Reason Given-Why is thisrelevant to this patient ?|
|How do you administer this medication?Be specific|
|Drug-Specific Nutritional Education|
|Drug-Specific Patient Education|
Each student will research their assigned surgery (utilizing journals, internet site, books etc) and create a thorough, cited (APA), discussion post on the indications (what types of conditions require this surgery), what happens in the surgery-this is concise, contraindication for surgery, preop considerations (what is needed preoperatively), post op care and follow up, patient education, and potential complications that may arise. Also create a 3- 5min synapsis/overview (what the surgery is, conditions that require it, post op care) of the surgery to present to the class in post huddle.