- Distinguish between the different layout types.
- Apply the appropriate layout, making combinations, and sub-layouts when needed.
- Construct a relationship chart for a given process/product flow.
Dixit, V., Raj, P., & Sharma, J. R. (2016). ABC Shipyard: The facility layout. Ivey Publishing.
Ellet, W. (2007). The case study handbook: How to read, discuss, and write persuasively about cases. Harvard Business Publishing.
EL NORAS AL BAHREE. (2013, May 30). Ship building process. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGVrM1g1dQY&feature=youtu.be
Carefully read the case and consider its context in relation to making the important decision to accept the new order. The case includes situational information, as well as numerical data, which should be combined to perform the appropriate analysis and reach the correct decision. Answer the following case questions.
- How would you define a facility layout? What factors determine the type of layout? Identify the different layouts currently implemented in the ABC Shipyard Facility. (20 marks)
- What prerequisite assessment needs to be carried out before improving a facility layout? Explain this assessment for ABC Shipyard. (20 marks)
- What is a relationship (REL) chart? What factors are considered to formulate an REL chart? (20 marks)
- Based on the description of the existing layout, shipbuilding process, and ideal layout, indicate which of the following three charts (A, B, and C) is the
- existing REL chart,
- required REL chart, and
- ideal REL chart.
- Explain your choices. (20 marks)
Source: Dixit, V., Raj, P., & Sharma, J. R. (2016). ABC Shipyard: The facility layout. Ivey Publishing.
(15 marks) If the following layout is suggested for ABC, will you agree with its implementation as an improvement for the current one (given in the case: Exhibit 2)?
Compare the layout given below to the one in Exhibit 2 and defend your argument based on the flowchart of the process (Exhibit 3) and relationship charts.
Source: Dixit, V., Raj, P., & Sharma, J. R. (2016). ABC Shipyard: The facility layout. Ivey Publishing