The patient, an elderly man, had an acute onset of fever, dysuria, abdominal pain, and tenderness in the left flank. He was admitted for evaluation and urine analysis and culture. The radiological finding showed two medium-sized renal calculi associated with pyelonephritis in the left kidney. The culture revealed severe E.coli UTI that responded well to IV Cipro therapy.
Discharge Diagnosis & Recommended follow up
1) UTI (2) Renal calculi & Follow up for Shock Wave Lithotripsy (SWL)
Identify as many medical terms and abbreviations as you can from the passage above and rewrite the passage using your own words.
Drug and Alcohol Use In Pregnancy, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorders, OB & Pediatric Complications
Case Study #2 (Originality scores greater than 30 will not be accepted) Complete Journal Entry #4 for the Abstinence Project
Understanding Co-Occurring Diagnosis in Substance Use Disorders.
Abstinence Final Project Paper due (Originality Scores greater than 30 will not be accepted.) (No Additional Assignments or Forums due this week)
6. What types of treatment plans and nursing interventions would work best for this adolescent patient? Please provide suggestions based on your literature review.
Abstinence Project Journal Entry #3
National Institute on Drug Abuse Video: Babies Born to Women Addicted
WHO: Guidelines for the identi�cation and management of substance use and substance use disorders in pregnancy
ACOG: Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy
AAP Policy Statement: A Public Health Response to Opioid Use in Pregnancy
AAP: Neonatal Drug Withdrawal
Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) Treatment Guidelines & Scoring
Abstinence Project Journal Entry #4
Case Study #2 Working with the Vulnerable Population
SAMHSA’s Article on Co-occurring disorders
Final Abstinence Project Analysis Paper
Please submit your APA formatted, double spaced conclusion paper about how this experience will assist you in understanding or working with chemically dependent people. Refer to the syllabus supplement for further explanation and rubric guidelines. Originality scores greater than 30 will not be accepted.
Medication-Assisted Treatment based on symptoms. Motivational Interviewing, Medications, Treatment modalities.
Observation of an OPEN AA/NA Meeting
Discussion Forum #5 Observation of a Virtual OPEN AA/NA Meeting
Use the following link to �nd a virtual meeting that �ts your schedule. Remember to only attend an OPEN meeting that is not for members only.
APA Practice Guideline for the Pharm Tx of Patients with Alcohol Use Disorder
TIP: Medications for Opioid Use Disorder
Alcoholics Anonymous: This is the Fourth Edition of the Big Book, the basic text for Alcoholics Anonymous.
Prior to attending the open AA Meeting, please read Chapter 5: How it Works in The Big Book. The Big Book is the Basic Text for Alcoholics Anonymous. The entire book is available by clicking on the above link.
NA Recovery Literature, Booklets, and Pamphlet resources
Attendance to an OPEN AA/NA Meeting
Please submit the date, time, location and type of meeting that you attended. Attendance contributes to 5% of your grade.
Forum #5: Understanding Co-Occurring Disorders and Self-Re�ection of a 12 Step Program
Forum Directions: You should make a minimum of 2 postings in total: one new thread and one thoughtful responses to a classmate. (Please refer to the course syllabus supplement for forum rubric information. Your participation will be graded on a ten point . A researched reference is NOT needed for this self re�ection forum.
Participation in 12-step groups has been associated with positive outcome among substance users. Nurses can play an important role in fostering 12-step participation, and the insights which they develop in their practice can greatly contribute to a patient’s willingness to participate in a 12-step program. Please answer the below questions as honestly as possible. /This forum is based on your opinion and observations. A researched reference is NOT needed. This forum focuses on self-re�ection of your 12-step meeting observations.
1. De�ne co-occurring disorders related to psychiatric/mental illness and substance use disorders. What is the prevalence of this disorder? (include literature research in your response.
2. Explain what is meant by the term “substance induced mood disorder”. State the risk factors involved for this disorder.
Recognizing an impaired colleague and understanding the “VA Impaired Nurse Act”.
Discussion Forum #6
3. Should treatment di�er for clients with co-occurring disorders compared to those with an alcohol or drug disorder? Explain your rationale.
4. Some participants of self help groups are court-mandated to attend because of a DUI or DWI conviction. Do you feel that clients should be mandated to attend self-help meetings? Why or why not?
5. Before attending the 12 step meeting, what were your attitudes, beliefs, or previous knowledge about these programs? Your personal reactions as an individual attending for the �rst time.
6. What did you observe / learn about yourself by attending? Were you nervous? Why or why not? Did you have any stereotypes that were con�rmed or shattered? What emotions did you experience?
7. Did this opinion change after attending the meeting? Please be speci�c and state how it did or how it did not. Please describe one thing that surprised you or something that you new that you learned while attending the meeting.
8. What social, psychological and spiritual principles of human behavior are the 12 step programs based on? How do they contribute to its success? What potential barriers do you see for patients participating in a 12 step program. What suggestion do you have to alleviate this barrier?
Video: Substance Use Disorder (SUD) in the Nursing Profession
Virginia Health Practitioners’ Monitoring Program
Maryland Board of Nursing: Rehabilitation Program
A Nurse’s Guide to SUD in Nursing
A Nurse Manager’s Guide to SUD in Nursing
Screening for Substance Abuse Video
VA Depart of Health: Enforcement Disciplinary, Nursing Case Decisions
Forum 6: Impaired Nursing Forum
Forum Directions: You should make a minimum of 2 postings in total: one new thread and one thoughtful response to a classmate. (Please refer to the course syllabus supplement for forum rubric information. Your participation will be graded on a ten point . A researched reference is needed for this forum.
Review the below Case Study for a better understanding of potential examples of impaired nursing in the clinical environment. Answer the following questions.
CASE REPORT: The Supernurse Monthly reports from the controlled substances vault showed that a registered nurse on one of the patient care units had a 3+ SD use of controlled substances compared with fellow nurses in the same time frame. Further investigation revealed that this nurse was the only one who gave several patients acetaminophen with oxycodone after charting their pain scales. Review of the charts showed that the highest doses were always removed, and no doses were wasted. The unit’s nurse manager vouched for the nurse in question, saying she was one of the most well-respected and reputable nurses in the department. She insisted that this nurse was