Grammarly plagiarism report must be submitted with this assignment.
Submit an evidence-based practice paper about cultural competency in mental health nursing. An evidence-based practice paper allows you to explore best practice and help improve client outcomes on a psychiatric unit. Your paper should describe how you, as a nurse, will include – or have included – cultural awareness in a client diagnosed with a mental illness. The person you describe could be someone in your clinical setting, someone you have worked with in the past, or a theoretical client.
Remember that culture can also include gender equality, sexual orientation, and other cultures besides race and religion – including cultures unique to one particular family. Your paper should be at least 3 pages (double-spaced, not including the title or reference pages) in APA Format and include:
- Assessment: Discuss what you would assess in regard to a client’s culture. For example, are there specific dietary requirements? Are schedule changes necessary to avoid conflicts with religious practices? Who is the spokesperson for the family? What would you assess?
- Diagnosis: List any mental health nursing diagnoses this person has or may be at risk for. Include at least one cultural diagnosis.
- Planning: What planning needs to be done to ensure the cultural and emotional safety of the client?
- Implementation: What are interventions that would ensure the safety of your client in regard to culture? Include at least two interventions. For example, if your client has religious beliefs that affect the ability to take medications, what interventions would you create to ensure the client’s safety? What can you do to make sure the client’s cultural needs are met?
- Evaluation: How will you evaluate whether your implementation was effective? Make sure the parameters are objective and measurable.
- In your summary, discuss whether any completed interventions were successful. What could be done differently in the future? If the interventions have not yet been carried out, you might discuss some institutional changes that could be made to ensure cultural safety for all clients in that setting.
Below is the Rubric guideline
Scoring Rubric: Cultural Considerations in Mental Health Nursing
- Title page, Grammar, punctuation, and in-text citations are present and correct. – 1
- Paper includes a description of the client including age, race, religion, marital status, children and living environment. – 1
- Assessment: Includes what the nurse would assess in regard to culture. -1
- Diagnosis: Paper includes at least three nursing diagnoses, including at least one cultural diagnosis. – 2
- Planning: Paper includes outcomes with at least one NOC labels and at least three indicators. – 1
- Implementation: Paper includes interventions with at least one NIC label and a list of three or more activities. – 1
- Evaluation: Paper includes a statement of how the care plan will be evaluated using objective and measurable criteria. – 1
- Paper includes a discussion of whether the plan was successful and what could have been done differently. If the plan has not yet been carried out, the paper will discuss institutional changes that might be made in that setting for cultural safety. – 1
- Paper includes proper introduction and conclusion and is 3-4 pages in length. – 1