Final Draft Essay Requirements
This assignment requires an “issue statement” (refer to the Student_AnnotatedSample_Salvaging-the-Old-Growth-Forest.pdf file for further explanation about issue statements).
This assignment requires a two-part thesis:
· Statement of position; and
· Forecast (essentially a “preview”) of your lines of reasoning
The assignment also requires:
· A minimum of three credible outside sources formatted on a source page (MLA, Works Cited)
· MLA citation style for the paper
· Minimum of four (4) FULL pages not including the Works Cited page
· Be sure to:
· Choose a specific issue in which two credible parties have documented clearly opposing positions and clear agendas
· Choose the position you agree with and argue that position using the following:
o Three separate lines of reasoning;
o Each line of reasoning will support your position with research (example, testimony, and fact/data, or any combination) that supports your position; and
o Research about the opposing position’s views
o Present the opposing views and refute them.
· Include a two-part thesis with:
o Statement of position; and
o Forecast of your lines of reasoning
· Develop an enticing title that implies your position.
· Use a sympathetic appeal and/or cited research in the introduction to establish the issue.
· Avoid addressing the assignment directly. (Don’t write “I am going to argue about…” Instead, introduce the issue in a more compelling way that makes the reader care.)
· Your voice should be professional and scholarly.
· Package your source material with appropriate signaling and commentary.