For your fifth essay, you will explore economic challenges facing our U.S. Read the instructions and guidelines below carefully and review the grading rubric before submitting your work.
1. Find a NEWS article that addresses a current economic issue facing the U.S. It can involve any of the challenges discussed in Chapter 18, or one of your choice. (A news article is an article from a media source like a newspaper or magazine such as the New York Times, FOX, The Washington Post, VICE, etc. that addresses a current event. It does not include sources like Wikipedia, eHow, dictionaries, academic journals, or other information websites.)
2. Write a minimum 300 word essay that answers the following questions:
1. Based on the article you chose, what is economic challenge you chose? How does it relate to the economic challenges discussed in the book? (See Chapter 18 for a discussion of economic challenges facing the U.S.)
2. According to the article, who are the main interest groups involved? What does the economic issue mean for their life and/or business outcomes?
3. How can the economic challenge be addressed in a manner that is fair and equitable to all parties involved?
· Your essay should:
. be a total of 300 words or more.
2. The 300 word limit DOES NOT include the questions, names, titles, and references.
2. It also does not include meaningless filler statements
. have factual information from the textbook and/or appropriate articles and websites.
. be original work and will be checked for plagiarism.
4. You will receive a zero if substantial portions of your work are taken from other sources without proper citation
. have references and citations for your sources, including the textbook
5. Cite your sources in-text and provide references for each sources according to the APA Style Guide . FYI web addresses or links are not full references!
· Essays are automatically submitted to SafeAssign. Watch the video – SafeAssign for Students – Blackboard Learn
. Any work that SafeAssign identifies as having more than a 10% rate of plagiarism after quoted material and small matches (10 words or less) are excluded will not be read and will receive a grade of F (No points).
. All essays must be written using Microsoft Office applications such as Word. Work that is not submitted through the assigned drop box or that is submitted using software that is not compatible with Safe Assign (SafeAssign accepts files in .doc, .docx, .docm, .ppt, .pptx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html file formats only) will not be read and will receive a grade of zero.
. Submitting a paper that was already submitted by the student to another professorand/or course is also considered an act of academic dishonesty. Students who are found doing this will also receive an F (no points) for this assignment. Students must write a different new essay or paper for every class they take.
· Essays must be submitted through the proper drop box. Essays that are not submitted through the assigned dropbox will not be accepted. Do not submit essays through the Comments Window!!
· No essays will be accepted after the due date.
· View the grading rubric above (Points Possible).
Chapter 18 was about
I. Government’s Indirect Role in the Economy
A. The Problem of Regulating the Economy
B. Whose Desires Does the Government Reflect?
C. Fluctuating Attitudes toward Regulation
II. Government’s Direct Role in the Economy
A. Where the Government Spends Its Money
B. Where Government Gets Its Money
C. Alternative Methods of Supply in a Pragmatic Market Economy
III. Some Controversial Roles of the Government
A. Income Redistribution through Government
1. The U.S. Social Security System
2. Social Security is not insurance
2. Social Security benefits and taxes
2. The future of the Social Security system
1. Government’s Macroeconomic Role
2. Stabilizing the Economy
2. Monetary and Fiscal Policy
2. Government’s Role in the Financial Crisis of 2008-2009
IV. Economic Challenges Facing the United States in the Future
A. The Debt Challenge
B. The Globalization
C. The Income Challenge
D. The Climate Change