Watch the following short videos on the South China Sea and on the “re-education” of Uyghurs. Altogether the videos will take up about an hour and 15 minutes (including the optional video). For either topic (or you may discuss both) discuss the different security concerns from the Chinese perspective and from that of the international community (and, especially for the case study on the Uyghurs, as well as for the individuals involved). Look at the case studies from different perspectives from the IR schools of thought. Be ready to discuss the videos on Friday. That will be worth 5 points on your assignment.
CONTENT WARNING: The BBC video (the last one on the list) describes acts of violence against women. This video is optional to watch.
- Watch the videos in the links provided.
- Work in groups of 3-4.
- You will receive up to 10 points for participation (5 for the submission and 5 for the discussion in class) and up to 10 points for the material.
- Your essay should not be less than 300 words (I’m making this shorter because it is due sooner, so keep the due date in mind).
- Because the due date is earlier, either get with a group before that or have notes ready for when I assign you a group on Friday morning.
- You are not required to read any other material, but when you cite the videos, give the minute and second that your reference begins so I can check it.
- Give a reference page so you can practice referencing videos.
- Remember that everybody should read it and check each other before submission. If my two eyes catch something your 6 or 8 eyes didn’t, it means your teamwork needs work.
- Only the SGT submits the assignment. No one else should upload it (I tell you this every time and people still do it. It is confusing, and it shows me the team isn’t working together so it doesn’t deserve all 10 points)