a research paper about ” Lidocaine “
Requirements for Molecule Research Paper
1. Molecules will be randomly assigned to each student and posted on Canvas.
2. Due date is Tuesday, March 9th at 11:59 pm uploaded onto Canvas. The paper may be turned in earlier if it is more convenient. (Keep in mind the amount of material that tends to pile up at the
end of a quarter!)
and physical properties. The last page must be a bibliography, clearly showing the references used
for the paper. Make sure journal articles are cited properly, including journal title, year, volume,
number, author, article title and pages. Total length of the paper should be 4-6 pages, so that
leaves 2-4 pages of actual writing.
4. Format the paper using 1-inch margins, double spacing and Times Roman 12-point font.
5. A minimum of five (5) references is required. Three of which must be from peer-reviewed scientific journals. Other magazine articles of scientific merit are a good source for current
applications and information. The reference section in the library has some excellent reference
volumes, including the Encyclopedia of Science and Technology. No more than two websites
may be used and they must be credible websites, i.e., .edu, .gov. Wikipedia does not count as an
acceptable reference, but it is a good starting point.
6. Include the following information on your molecule, as appropriate. Not all information will be available for all molecules, but something in each section must be present.
7. Background: discoverer, date discovered, origin of name, source, first known use, history, developing company, etc.
Major Uses or Industrial Importance: keep to two or three uses, how it works or achieves desired
effect if applicable.
Anything else of interest (“Other Information”): here is where any unusual/unexpected uses, side
effects, applications or issues discovered during your research should be presented. This is the fun
Include on a separate page: hand-drawn structure showing hybridization and bond angles,
physical and chemical properties including toxicity (if any).
8. Treat this as an English composition. Use complete sentences and coherent paragraphs. Although I am not an English teacher, I will consider spelling and grammar in the grade. It is a very good
idea to make use of the Reading/Writing Center and the grammar/spell check function in Word.
9. In addition, you will share a brief presentation on Zoom to a portion of the class during the last weeks of the quarter by preparing a short oral presentation (2-3 minutes). Please send a Canvas
message to your instructor ASAP to reserve your preferred date/time; Wednesday, March 10th
from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm OR Friday, March 12th at 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm. Priority will be given on a
first come first serve basis.
10. The paper is worth 10% of your total grade.