Constitutional Law-2/Trial and Punishment-2 450 words each
- Give some examples of the punishments that were in place during the drafting and ratification of the American Constitution. How did these punishments change after the Constitution was put in place?
- Contrast the crimes for which the death penalty is made mandatory against the three classes of offenders who are not death-penalty eligible. How would you define “irreparable corruption” from Montgomery v. Louisiana 136 S.Ct. 718 (2016)? Why do you think these distinctions have been put into law? Do you agree with them? Why or why not?
- Research the case that marked the beginning of the Supreme Court’s capital punishment sentencing reforms and explain what this case held.
- Make a compelling argument for “humane punishment” with the understanding that it has not always been practiced. Include the present constitutionally acceptable forms of punishment that must be carried out in a humane fashion. Include how the United States’ punishment compares to the punishment in several Middle Eastern or African countries.
Read Birzer & Roberson (2015) Chapters 11 & 12.
- Develop a 10 slide PowerPoint presentation that addresses the history and evolution of gangs in the United States and the efforts of American policing in combating gang-related crimes. Finally discuss how police agencies across the United States are trying to improve their relationships with culturally diverse populations within their communities.
- Submit a script with 40 words for each slide.