I am looking to get this history paper completed by 3 December. I will be attaching the book for reference.
You will use the link above to submit your Research Paper.
Note: Before beginning this assignment, read through information contained in the Scholastic Honesty link on the course menu to the left.
The core assignment of this course is a documented research paper (1500-2000 words in length, approx. 6-8 pages double-spaced, 12-point font).
- The paper should support a thesis statement with information gained from research or investigation.
- The paper will not be just a report presenting information but will be a paper that carefully examines and presents your own historical interpretation of the topic you have chosen and your interpretation of the information you have gathered.
- The paper may include consideration of problems and solutions, definition of key terms, or may refute arguments against your thesis statement.
It will be important to choose a topic of interest to you.
- Approach this assignment with an open and skeptical mind, then form an opinion based on what you have discovered.
- You must suspend beliefs while you are investigating and let the discoveries shape your opinion. (This is a thesis-finding approach.)
- Once you have found your thesis, write the paper to support it.
You will use some of the following critical thinking skills in this process:
- Choosing an appropriate topic, limiting the topic.
- Gathering information, summarizing sources.
- Analyzing and evaluating sources.
- Defining key terms.
- Synthesizing information, comparing and contrasting sources.
- Testing a thesis, making a historical argument, using refutation.
- Amassing support for a position.
- Documenting sources.
Because this may be a longer paper than you have written before and a complex process is involved, it is recommended that you complete this paper using the following steps:
- Choose a topic related to chapters covered in The American Yawp, (Chapters 16-30) that you would truly like to explore and that you are willing to spend some time on. Your chosen topic should be focused. Pose a question that you really want to answer. You may want to begin with more than one topic in mind.
- Do some preliminary reading on the topic(s). You may begin with the textbook, then further explore the information available. Refine your topic. Summarize your topic, your interest in the topic, the questions you want to answer, and a hypothesis you want to test.
- Gather information from a variety of sources. Use a minimum of four sources for your paper, and at least one must be a primary source.
- Primary sources are contemporary to the times under investigation.
- An example of a secondary source is our textbook, though the textbook also contains excerpts of primary sources, which you may use as a source in your paper.
- Outline the results of your research and the plan for your paper (you are not required to submit the outline).
- Write the final draft and be sure to include a Works Cited List, and use the correct MLA documentation style.
INTRODUCTION & THESIS: Includes a clear thesis statement, an assertion or position. The topic is original and manageable in a short research paper. /15
FOCUS AND DEVELOPMENT: Body of the essay focuses on this thesis and develops it fully, recognizing the complexity of issues and refuting arguments in opposition to the thesis. /20
SUPPORT AND SYNTHESIS: Uses sufficient and relevant evidence to support the thesis (and primary points), including facts, inferences, and judgments. Quotes, summarizes, and paraphrases accurately and effectively–appropriately introducing and explaining each quote. /25
RESOURCES: Shows a clear understanding of the sources; has evaluated each source and used it appropriately. Uses a wide variety of sources reflecting significant research. /10
CONVENTIONS: Uses MLA format correctly; includes internal citations and a Works Cited list; is free of errors. /15
CORRECTNESS AND STYLE: Introduces the topic in an interesting way; shows critical thinking and depth of understanding; uses appropriate tone; shows sophistication in language usage and sentence structure. /15
Complete your assignment as instructed. The following submission options are available:
1. Enter text into the textbox, format using the Blackboard formatting tools, and select Submit. You may view your posting both on this page and under My Grade (available under Tools).
– or –
2. Complete your assignment using word-processing software such as MS Word 365 (download free software at https://products.office.com/en-us/student?ms.officeurl=getoffice365), LibreOffice (download free software at https://www.libreoffice.org/download), or other per course requirements. Save your file as an .rtf file or .doc to ensure that it can be opened at any computer. Submit your assignment by selecting the title link, browsing to, and attaching your saved file. Make sure to select SUBMIT. You may view your posting both on this page and under My Grades (available under Tools).
Organizational Communication – Final Project
Analysis of an Organization in Your Chosen Field
For your final project you are to find an organization to study and analyze .(Ikea company) The organization you choose should relate to the field/industry you will enter upon graduation.
For this project you will produce a 10-12 page report in which you examine and discuss the following:
· Introduction and Research Methods – Indicate the organization you chose for this project, why you chose it, and describe your research methods.
· Research methods must be described & explained completely (see guidelines below for research methods) (1-2 pages)
· Historical Overview – provide background information about the organization, such as how long they have been in existence, where they are located, are they a global company and if so, in what countries are they located, what they started out doing, what they do now, etc.. (1-2 pages)
· Organizational Structure and Management Style – Describe the major divisions/departments within the organization. Identify and describe the different levels of management. Indicate who occupies these positions, and what they do in their job. Identify and describe the style of management that is evident within this structure
(see Chapter 4) (2-3 pages)
· You must describe some of the actual people in management positions and describe the positions they occupy.
· In terms of the management style, recall from our classroom discussions that an organization’s management style may not fit neatly into one of the theories we discussed. It may be a hybrid or combination.
· Your job is to examine the structure and style and identify and explain which aspects relate to the various management models.
· Organizational Diversity – Provide a full description of the different levels/types of diversity represented within the organization (see Chapter 13). (1-2 pages)
· Find info regarding gender, age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, and people with disabilities
· Look at other types of diversity (i.e., viewpoint diversity/diversity of thought/ideas)
· Organizational Culture – Identify and describe at least 2 important aspects of the organization’s culture (see Chapter 6). (1-2 pages)
· Work-Life Balance – Identify and describe some of the Family-Friendly Work Policies the organization provides to its employees. (See Chapter 12) (1-2 pages)
· Provide at least 2 specific examples
· Explain how often they are used, and by whom
· Public Relations – Describe specifically what the organization communicates through its web site and social media pages/sites. Explain how they communicate their goals, their vision, their responsibility to customers and clients, and anything else that you find interesting & relevant. Explain how they communicate directly with their “publics” via social media. (1-2 pages)
· Your job – Indicate what positions you would pursue within this organization, and why. Describe what is involved in these positions. Also indicate what your dream job would be within the organization, and why. (1 page)
To complete this project you will need to employ the following Research Methods:
· Scholarly sources – You will need to find at least 2 scholarly sources related to either your industry and/or the topics in the paper in some relevant way. Final project folder must include copies of these articles.
· You will incorporate these articles into your paper in the most relevant sections. For instance, if you find an article that relates to management structure, you will include this information in that section of the paper.
· You should aim to find some scholarly sources that pertain to your industry and some that pertain to some of the topics covered in this assignment.
· Other print sources – You will need to find at least 2 other print sources that pertain to your topic. Final project folder must include copies of these print sources.
· Print sources may be obtained through websites, such as cnn.com, foxnews.com, abcnews.com, etc…
· These sources may also be obtained through newspapers or magazines.
· Print sources should relate to either your organization or the industry you are researching.
· Web Site and Social Media analysis – You need to conduct a content analysis of the organization’s web site and social media pages in order to obtain information related to your report.
· Web site analysis will enable you to obtain information related to the organization’s history, management structure, and public relations.
· You should not rely exclusively on the web site for this information, but it should provide you with a good source.