+1 (208) 254-6996 [email protected]

this is due tomorrow….. 20 hours to do…….  please no late work….

Answer the attachments as if you were me. they are self assessments

Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Due Tomorrow….. 20 Hours To Do….. Please Read
Just from $13/Page
Order Essay

then do:

Developmental Assessment Paper

1. Using the results of your “How do I Manage Differences” self-assessment and Supervisory Beliefs Inventory from Module #2/Week #2, what did you learn about yourself in each exercise?  Were you surprised?

2. Using the exercises and readings in our text, as well as information presented in the Modules, describe the stages of personal and professional development you are in.

3. What do you need from a supervisor at this time?  Be specific and use your responses from questions 1 and 2 to help you. Make sure you incorporate information from the coursework into your writings, what you have learned and how you can apply it.

This assignment should be 2-3 typewritten pages (double spaced/ 12 point font)

2/18/12 8:09 PMSupervisory Beliefs Inventory

Page 1 of 5file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/Supervisory%20Beliefs%20Inventory-1.webarchive

Supervisory Beliefs Inventory

Rationale: Before choosing a supervisory approach to use with a teacher, it is important for the supervisor to assess her own beliefs about teacher supervision and staff development. Although all supervisors probably use directive, collaborative and non-directive styles at one time of another, one style usually dominates. The supervisor will benefit from being aware of her strongest orientation. Other staff who serve in supervisory roles, such as Master Teachers, may also enjoy taking this self assessment. This assessment was developed by Carl Glickman (1981). For a full discussion of the three different supervisory styles assessed by this instrument, readers are encouraged to read Glickman’s book, Supervision of Instruction: A Developmental Approach (1985).

Directions: This inventory is designed to be self-administered and self-scored. As you read the questions, circle one of two options: A or B for each item. You may not completely agree with either choice, but choose the one that is closest to how you feel.

1. A. Supervisors should give teachers a large degree of autonomy within broadly defined limits.

B. Supervisors should give teachers directions about methods that help them improve teaching.

2. A. It is important for teachers to set their own goals and objectives for professional growth. B. It is important for supervisors to help teachers reconcile their personalities and teaching styles

with the philosophy and direction of the school.

3. A. Teachers are likely to feel uncomfortable and anxious if the objectives on which they will be evaluated are not clearly defined by the supervisor.

B. Evaluations of teachers are meaningless if teachers are not able to define with their supervisors the objectives for the evaluation.

4. A. An open, trusting, warm and personal relationship with teachers is the most important ingredient in supervising teachers.

B. A supervisor who is too intimate with teachers risks being less effective and less respected than a supervisor who keeps a certain degree of professional distance from teachers.

5. A. My role during supervisory conferences is to make the interaction positive, to share realistic information and to help teachers plan their own solutions to problems.

B. The methods and strategies I use with teaches in a conferences are aimed at our reaching agreement over the needs for future improvement.

2/18/12 8:09 PMSupervisory Beliefs Inventory

Page 2 of 5file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/Supervisory%20Beliefs%20Inventory-1.webarchive

6. In the initial phase of working with a teacher:

1. I develop objectives with each teacher that will help accomplish school goals. 2. I try to identify the talents and goals of teachers so they can work on their own improvement.

7. When several teachers have a similar classroom problem, I prefer to:

1. Have teachers form an ad hoc group and help them work together to solve the problem. 2. Help teachers on an individual basis find their strengths, abilities, and resources so that each one finds

his or her own solution to the problem.

8. The most important clue that an in-service workshops is needed occurs when:

1. The supervisor perceives that several teachers lack knowledge or skill in a specific area, which is resulting in low morale, undue stress and less effective teaching.

2. Several teachers perceive the need to strength their abilities in the same area.

9. A. The supervisory staff should decide the objectives of an in-service workshop since they have a broad perspective on the teachers’ abilities and the school’s needs.

B. Teachers and supervisory staff should reach consensus about the objectives of an in-service workshop before the workshop is held.

10. A. Teachers who feel they are growing personally will become more effective than teachers who are not experiencing personal growth.

B. The knowledge and ability of teaching strategies and methods that have been proved over the years should be taught and practiced by all teachers to be effective in their classrooms.

11. When I perceive that a teacher might be scolding a student unnecessarily:

1. I explain during a conference with the teacher why the scolding was excessive. 2. I ask the teacher about the incident but do not interject my judgments.

2/18/12 8:09 PMSupervisory Beliefs Inventory

Page 3 of 5file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/Supervisory%20Beliefs%20Inventory-1.webarchive

12. A. One effective way to improve teacher performance is to formulate clear behavioral objectives and create meaningful incentives for achieving them.

B. Behavioral objectives are rewarding and helpful to some teachers but stifling to others; some teachers benefit from behavioral objectives in some situations but not in others.

13. During a pre-observation conference:

1. I suggest to the teacher what I could observe, but I let the teacher make the final decision about the objectives and methods of observation.

2. The teacher and I mutually decide the objectives and methods of observation.

14. A. Improvement occurs very slowly if teachers are left on their own, but when a group of teachers work together on a specific problem, they learn rapidly and their morale remains high.

B. Groups activities may be enjoyable, but I find that individual, open discussion with a teacher about a problem and its possible solutions leads to more sustained results.

15. When an in-service or staff development workshop is scheduled:

1. All teachers who participated in the decisions to hold the workshop should be expected to attend. 2. Teachers, regardless of their role in forming a workshop, should be able to decide of the workshop

irrelevant to their personal or professional growth and, if not, should not be expected to attend.

Scoring: Step #1. Circle your answers from the inventory in the following columns:

Column 1 Column II Column III

1B 1A

2B 2A

3A 3B

2/18/12 8:09 PMSupervisory Beliefs Inventory

Page 4 of 5file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/Supervisory%20Beliefs%20Inventory-1.webarchive

4B 4A

Step #2. Tally the number of circles items in each column and multiply by 6.7

1. Total response in Column I ________ X 6.7 = ________________

1. Total response in Column II ________ X 6.7 = ________________

1. Total response in Column III ________ X 6.7 = _______________

Interpretation:

2/18/12 8:09 PMSupervisory Beliefs Inventory

Page 5 of 5file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/Supervisory%20Beliefs%20Inventory-1.webarchive

The product you obtained in step 2.1 is an approximate percentage of how often you take a directive approach to supervision. The product you obtained in step 2.2 is an approximate percentage of how often you take a collaborative approach, and that in step 2.3 is an approximate percentage of how often you take a nondirective approach.

From Glickman, C. (1981). Developmental Supervision: Alternative Practices for Helping Teachers Improve Instruction, Alexandria, VA Association for Supervision and Curriculum development, pp. 13-15.

2/18/12 8:12 PMHow do I Manage Differences?

Page 1 of 6file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/How%20do%20I%20Manage%20Differences%20-2.webarchive

How Do I Manage Differences? A Self- Assessment Exercise

Picture yourself in a situation where your wishes differ from another person’s.

For each of the following, circle the statement (A or B) that describes how you would respond. Sometimes neither statement will be typical for you, but try to choose the one that seems more accurate of the two. Only you will see the finished exercise. Then record your responses on the answer sheet.

1. A. There are times when I let others take the initiative for solving the problem.

B. Rather than focusing on areas we disagree, I stress those things upon which we agree.

2. A. I try to bargain for a compromise solution.

B. I attempt to take time to listen to the views of others, while also asserting my views.

3. A. I am usually firm in pursuing my objectives.

B. I might try to avoid hurting the other’s feelings and focus on preserving our relationship.

4. A. I try to find a quick solution so that we can simply split the difference.

B. I sometimes sacrifice my own wishes and just go along with the other person.

5. A. I consistently seek to involve the other person in working out a solution.

B. I try to do what is necessary to keep things calm and avoid hassle.

6. A. I try to avoid creating useless tension for myself.

B. Sometimes I try to win by insisting on the legitimacy of my position.

7. A. I try to postpone dealing with the issue, hoping that it will go away.

B. I freely give up some points in exchange for others.

8. A. I am usually firm in seeking to achieve my goals.

2/18/12 8:12 PMHow do I Manage Differences?

Page 2 of 6file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/How%20do%20I%20Manage%20Differences%20-2.webarchive

B. I attempt to explore all sides of the issues and bring them to the table for discussion.

9. A. I feel that differences are not always worth confronting.

B. I often try to get my way.

10. A. I sometimes seek to persuade others to embrace my position.

B. I try to urge moderation and meet people half-way.

11. A. I attempt to identify all concerns and get all issues immediately out into the open.

B. I might try to soothe the other’s feelings and give in to gain his/her approval.

12. A. I sometimes try not to make a big deal about something, even if I disagree.

B. I will concede some points, if he/she also gives in on some points.

13. A. I propose a middle ground where we can both walk away with something.

B. I sometimes insist on my position, especially when I know I’m right.

14. A. I freely share my ideas, while also asking others to share theirs.

B. I try to show him/her the logic of my proposed solution.

15. A. I might try to smooth over hurt feelings and preserve our relationship.

B. I try to do what is necessary to avoid conflict.

16. A. I try not to hurt the other’s feelings, even if it means giving in.

B. I try to convince the other person of the benefits of my position.

2/18/12 8:12 PMHow do I Manage Differences?

Page 3 of 6file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/How%20do%20I%20Manage%20Differences%20-2.webarchive

17. A. I usually move swiftly in achieving my goals.

B. I sometimes withdraw from confronting disagreements.

18. A. If it makes the other person happy, I might just go along and not assert my views.

B. I will give in to some of his/her positions, if he/she lets me have some of mine.

19. A. I attempt to understand the basic concerns behind the other’s position.

B. I try to delay the need to face the issue, hoping that it will be dropped.

20. A. I attempt to work through our differences in a way that helps both of us to win.

B. I try to find a fair solution whereby we both make concessions.

21. A. In approaching negotiations, I try to accommodate the wishes of other people.

B. I always invite a direct discussion of the problem.

22. A. I try to find an intermediate solution between our differing positions.

B. I sometimes get impatient with dialogue and prefer to implement my solution.

23. A. I am often concerned with satisfying the basic concerns of all parties.

B. Sometimes I tend to ignore problems and let others bring them up for discussion.

24. A. If the other person’s position seems very important to him/her, I may give in.

B. I try to get him/her to settle for a compromise solution.

25. A. I try to demonstrate the legitimacy of my position.

2/18/12 8:12 PMHow do I Manage Differences?

Page 4 of 6file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/How%20do%20I%20Manage%20Differences%20-2.webarchive

B. I try to be considerate of the other’s feelings, even if it means sacrificing my goals.

26. A. I propose a middle ground so we can move quickly toward a solution.

B. I am usually concerned about find the most satisfying solution for all parties.

27. A. I sometimes avoid disagreeing with others in order not to create controversy.

B. If it makes him/her happy, I’m often content simply to accommodate his/her wishes.

28. A. I’m usually forthright in asserting my wishes and convincing others to follow me.

B. I try to explore a broad range of possible solutions, even if it takes considerable time.

29. A. I propose a middle ground based on reason and fairness.

B. I feel that differences are not always worth the effort to confront.

30. A. I try not to hurt the feelings of others and will give in to preserve the relationship.

B. I usually share the problems so that we can find a mutually satisfying solution.

How Do I Mange Differences? Answer Sheet

Transfer your answers over to the appropriate column, circling the same letter you previously circled.

Answer Forcing (competing)

Collaborating (problem-solving)

Compromising (sharing)

Avoiding (withdrawing)

Accommodating (smoothing)

1. A B

2. B A

2/18/12 8:12 PMHow do I Manage Differences?

Page 5 of 6file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/How%20do%20I%20Manage%20Differences%20-2.webarchive

3. A B

13 B A

14. B A

15. B A

16. B A

17. A B

18. B A

2/18/12 8:12 PMHow do I Manage Differences?

Page 6 of 6file:///Users/Mom/Downloads/How%20do%20I%20Manage%20Differences%20-2.webarchive

19. A B

20. A B

21. B A

22. B A

23. A B

24. B A

25. A B

26. B A

27. A B

28. A B

29. A B

30. B A

Total the number of items you circled in

each column