BCO211 STRATEGIC MARKETING – FALL, 2020 MID TERM ASSESSMENT Task brief & rubrics
From the Marketing Case BWT each student may consider the case from a global perspective or from their own country’s perspective.
Use official cover provided on Moodle, table of contents and introduction. Each question should be clearly identified as a headline and answered as a separate
section of the paper.
• Describe the segment your brand/ product is targeting (demographic, psychographic, geographic and behavioral).
• Analyze the value proposition your brand is offering and how they are creating value.
• Related to their main competitors, is your brand a leader, challenger or follower? Justify your answer with quantitative data and analyze the strategy
• Wordcount: 2,000-2,500
• Cover, Table of Contents, References and Appendix are excluded of the total wordcount.
• Font: Arial 12,5 pts.
• Text alignment: Justified.
• The in-text References and the Bibliography have to be in Harvard’s citation style.
• Upload PDF to avoid Turnitin rejection.
Submission: Week 7 – Via Moodle (Turnitin). Due date:22nd November , 11:59 pm (CET)
Weight: This task is a 40% of your total grade for this subject.
It assesses the following learning outcomes:
• Demonstrate understanding of the principles of Marketing and their applicability.
• Understand the processes of interaction between key stakeholders in the domain of Marketing.
• Identify and analyze the major forces in the marketing that impact business operations.
• Describe segmentation, targeting and brand positioning processes.
Exceptional 90-100 Good 80-89 Fair 70-79 Marginal fail 60-69
Knowledge & Understanding
Student demonstrates excellent understanding of Marketing key concepts and uses vocabulary in an entirely appropriate manner.
Student demonstrates good understanding of the task and mentions some relevant Marketing concepts and demonstrates use of the relevant vocabulary.
Student understands the task and provides minimum Marketing theory and/or some use of vocabulary.
Student understands the task and attempts to answer the question but does not mention key Marketing concepts or uses minimum amount of relevant vocabulary.
Application (20%) Student applies fully relevant knowledge from the Marketing Management topics delivered in class.
Student applies mostly relevant knowledge from the Marketing Management topics delivered in class.
Student applies some relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class. Misunderstanding may be evident.
Student applies little relevant knowledge from Marketing topics delivered in class. Misunderstands are evident.
Critical Evaluation (20%)
Student critically assesses in excellent ways, drawing outstanding conclusions from topics delivered in class.
Student critically assesses in good ways, drawing conclusions from topics delivered in class.
Student provides some insights but stays on the surface of the topic. References may not be relevant.
Student makes little or none critical thinking insights, does not quote appropriate authors, and does not provide valid sources.
Student communicates their ideas extremely clearly and concisely, respecting word count, grammar and spellcheck
Student communicates their ideas clearly and concisely, respecting word count, grammar and spellcheck
Student communicates their ideas with some clarity and concision. It may be slightly over or under the wordcount limit. Some misspelling errors may be evident.
Student communicates their ideas in a somewhat unclear and unconcise way. Does not reach or does exceed wordcount excessively and misspelling errors are evident.
BCO211 Strategic marketing
BWT – The Company
The Internationally Leading Water Technology Group
▪ 4 production facilities
▪ 500 million turnover
▪ 2,800 employees
▪ R&D departments in France,
Germany, Switzerland and
▪ Globally leading know-how in
all areas of water treatment
BWT – The Company
Leading R&D Competence
Water filtration at the “Point of Entry“
Limescale Protection AQA total
Water filtration for trade & industry
Softening Reverse Osmosis PERMAQ
Reverse Osmosis &
Electro-deionisation UV- & Ozone-Disinfection
Water filtration for Pharma and Biotech Water
BWT Osmotron Pro PW BWT Ultrastil
BWT Multitron BWT Combitron
References BWT- industrial partners
▪ “KitchenInnovation of the year® 2018“ for the BWT table water filter in the
categories functionality, innovation, design and ecology
▪ No. 1 „Innovation Award“ of the State of Upper Austria for the Magnesium
Mg2+-Technology used in professional and consumer table water filters
▪ Winner of the award „Trend Product of the Year 2017“ and Golden Award
„Best of the Best“ in the category „Houshold & Cleaning“ for BWT Quick &
Clean limescale protection system
▪ Plus X Award „Best product of the Year 2017“
AQA perla for the domestic softener
▪ No. 1 „Innovation Award“ at Technopharm for the BWT OSMOTRON
„product strengths in innovation, quality, efficiency and economic operation”
▪ No. 1 „Design Award“ of the Republic of Austria for the
RONDOMAT duo S large softener series
Award Winning Products
▪ BWT is technology leader and continually sets new standards in the
area of water filtration through innovations
▪ BWT offers economical and ecological products and methods in all
areas of water filtration
▪ BWT invests in state-of-the-art infrastructure with the highest
▪ BWT sustainably invests into the brand development and the
communication towards the end consumer
Market situation and potential
table water filter
▪ water is element No.1 for healthy lifestyle
▪ water consumption is still increasing
Water – element No.1
▪ Per capita consumption of bottled water rapidly increasing:
2020: 189 Litre*
1990: 80 Litre
*source: VDM, 2020
Water is the No.1 beverage in Germany
▪ 4,5 Mio. households already own a table water filter*
▪ Further 1,2 Mio. households plan to buy a table water filter in
the next two years**
**source: study „Typologie der Wünsche“, 2019
The market needs competition
Market entrance of BWT:
▪ BWT brings the B-to-B know-how to the consumer
▪ Competition is pushing the total category
▪ BWT is investing massively in the brand and the sell-out
▪ Until now: brand monopoly by Brita
▪ A monopoly is only positive for the monopolist,
not for the market
▪ No innovations and successful breakthrough for years
BWT already grows the market
Total Market Development (Germany):
12-month-comparison Sept 18 – Aug 19 vers. Sept 19 – Aug 20 (Source GfK)
Cartridges + 19% + 20%
Systems + 21 % + 18%
Regarding electronic retailers BWT already has
a market share of 43,9% (Source: GfK 10/2020, El.+I Trade/Indep BuyGr)
Our target group
Most important trends over the past years:
Table water filters perfectly fit consumer trends and will
grow in importance.
Target group LOHAS
▪ important values:
sustainability, responsibility, quality, environment, indulgence
▪ healthy products have to also provide good taste
▪ Mostly 2- and/or 3-person households, high income
▪ Information seekers, active in social media
LOHAS Lifestyle of Health and Sustainability
Our patented innovation
BWT is one step ahead!
Most water filters reduce limescale, heavy metals and taste
inhibiting elements like chlorine.
But also minerals are removed out of the water, the pH-value is
reduced and therefore the water has a sour taste.
NEW: thanks to the BWT magnesium technology the filtered water
is enriched with the valuable mineral magnesium.
Magnesium is a flavour carrier and perfectly enhances the aroma
of coffee and tea. Thanks to the magnesium the pH-value of the
water stays neutral and the water is considered as soft, fresh and
The BWT Gourmet water sets new standards in terms of
taste and performance – verified convincingly in tests. Result:
Our approved innovation:
Convinced experts and consumers
BWT is convincing experts
Magnesium makes the difference
BWT is No. 1 in the sensoric test from institute Fresenius regarding the
taste of drinking water, tea and coffee.
BWT is convincing consumers
Product test and Word-of-mouth-Activity:
▪ Independent online test platform „Konsumgöttinnen“
▪ 1.000 test persons, only existing Brita-users have tested
▪ More than 93% of all testers rate the taste of BWT Magnesium water as
„excellent“ or „good“
▪ 96% rated tea and coffee, prepared with BWT water as „excellent“ or „good“
▪ 91% would recommend BWT to other consumers
BWT table water filter
▪ The Magnesium-technology allows a positioning towards branded
mineral water. A clear differentiation towards competition!
▪ Tests are underlining that BWT is perceived as an equivalent to
brands like Evian, Vittel and Volvic in the category of taste.
We have to convince the consumer of the brilliant smooth taste
of BWT, followed by the rational argument of cost advantage.
(5 Cent per litre for BWT vs. up to 80 Cent for branded mineral water)
BWT Gourmet water is making bottled water unnecessary!
Premier Filter Collection
Safety EditionGourmet Edition Mg2+Gourmet Edition Silver free
NEW as of May 2013: Black Penguin
NEW ▪ 2,7l Black Penguin
▪ translucent dark grey
▪ improved UV-protection
▪ smoked frosted funnel
▪ lid and grip in black
▪ with electronic indicator
▪ with Easy Fill
▪ total capacity: 2,7 L
▪ filtered capacity: 1,5 L
▪ available in white, aubergine, blue, green
▪ RRP: 24,95 €
▪ entry level jug
▪ electronic or manual indicator
▪ total capacity: 2,5 L
▪ filtered capacity: 1,3 L
▪ RRP: 17,95 €
2,7 Litre Colour Edition
Counts volume and time easy filling without fitting for most common fridges
New timer from may 2013 taking off the lid
Easy Fill Easy Fit