Traditional Culture in the Modern World: The Elders Role
This week there are two topics to discuss – please post about each discussion in a separate thread. (One should thread should be labelled Elders, the other Languages). Both are equally important.
- First read what the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples (RCAP) Elders say about traditional roles today click here. (pdf)
- Listen to the following story –Sage Girls– about the role this Elder played in young women’s lives. (mp3)
- Why do you think elder McKenna accomplished what she did?
- How does what she accomplished establish an argument for a return to Indigenous teachings in conjunction with Western teaching in schools throughout Canada?
Listen to the following story and watch the following video:
- How can this camp help young Aboriginal People regain a sense of culture and identity through language?
- Is it the responsibility of Canadians, as a whole, to ensure opportunities like this are afforded to young people to retain their language?
Learning From Elders – Elder Rose Richardson
Please answer all three questions in one post!
- You have listened to Elder Rose Richardson talk about different plants. Listen towhy she wants all people – not just First Nations or Métis people – but all people to understand. (mp3)
- What do you think about the need to save this knowledge? How could all of society benefit from this knowledge?
- If we share this knowledge – how can it also be protected from those who may want to exploit it?