Case Study Assignment
Patient HM has a history of atrial fibrillation and a transient ischemic attack (TIA). The patient has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and ischemic heart disease. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
· Warfarin 5 mg daily MWF and 2.5 mg daily T, TH, Sat, Sun
· Aspirin 81 mg daily
· Metformin 1000 mg po bid
· Glyburide 10 mg bid
· Atenolol 100 mg po daily
· Motrin 200 mg 1–3 tablets every 6 hours as needed for pain
By Day 7 of Week 2
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
· Explain how the factor you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics processes in the patient from the case study you were assigned.
· Describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Be specific and provide examples.
· Explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan and explain why you would make these recommended improvements.
· Review the Resources for this module and consider the impact of potential pharmacotherapeutics for cardiovascular disorders introduced in the media piece.
· Review the case study assigned by your Instructor for this Assignment.
· Select one the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior factors.
· Reflect on how the factor you selected might influence the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics processes.
· Consider how changes in the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy.
· Think about how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan based on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics changes. Reflect on whether you would modify the current drug treatment or provide an alternative treatment option for the patient.
Reminder: The College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The College of Nursing Writing Template with Instructions provided at the Walden Writing Center offers an example of those required elements (available at https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates/general#s-lg-box-20293632).
All papers submitted must use this formatting.