This assignment gives students the opportunity to review and dissect a legal decision—to identify its different elements, the types of laws involved, and the basis for the decision. For this assignment, be sure to carefully read Chapter 1 from the textbook as well as the court case below, Simkins v. Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital. You may need to do additional research for the final question to support your analysis.
Simkins v. Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital, 323 F. 2d 959 (1963). Retrieved from https://www.leagle.com/decision/19631282323f2d95911029
Harris, D. M. (2014). Using the law to promote our policy goals and ethical principles. In Contemporary Issues in Healthcare Law & Ethics (pp. 3-10). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press. Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Jahn, W. G. (2011). The 4 basic ethical principles that apply to forensic activities are respect for autonomy, beneficence, nonmaleficence, and justice. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 10(3), 225-226. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4863255/
Ruger, J. P., Ruger, T. W., & Annas, G. J. (2015). The elusive right to health care under U.S. law. The New England Journal of Medicine, 372(26), 2558-2563. Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Showalter, J. S. (2017). The Anglo-American legal system. In The Law of Healthcare Administration (pp. 1-23). Chicago: Health Administration Press. Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Showalter, J. S. (2017). Health reform, access to care, and admission and discharge. In The Law of Healthcare Administration (pp. 61-79). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press. Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Note: This is a partial chapter.
After carefully reviewing the required readings, answer the following questions. Copy the questions directly from the assignment and answer them each separately.
1. Identify and explain the four sources of law in the United States and give an example of each.
2. What is the citation for the Simkins case? Label each part of the citation.
3. Define what majority and dissenting opinions are. Identify who drafted each for this case.
4. At what level of the judiciary was this case decided?
5. Identify and explain the legal statute that was examined in this case and its relevance.
6. Constitutional law was also a factor in the decision. Identify and discuss the amendments that were addressed and their importance to this case.
7. The reach of this case was limited. Why is that?
8. Explain the relationship of ethics to this decision. Be sure to identify relevant ethical principles.
9. What is the relevance for health administrators in studying a case such as Simkins? There is no one answer for this, but be sure to provide your critical analysis and support it with reliable sources.
**4 Pages Required**