ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION IS POSTED ON FILES
Assignment: Individual APA Review Assignment (90 points)
· The assignment must be typed in order to be graded.
· Handwritten assignments will be given 0 points.
· See Course Schedule Submit in Week 1
· The College’s Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
1. Create an APA-style Title Page for this assignment (2 points)
2. Put each of the following seven Article References in accurate APA format (see below).
3. Create an APA-style References page by alphabetizing the seven Article References. (4 points for each reference). Note: Always leave authors within each reference in the order they appear (do not alphabetize the authors in the reference); it is an honor to be primary authors. Always list last name of author(s), followed by initials.
4. Use the Alphabetized APA-style REFERENCE PAGE to fill in the In-Text citations on the next page . (5 points for each in-text citation)
Author(s): Abela-Dimech, F., & Vuksic, O.
Journal: Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Title of article: Improving the Practice of Handover for Psychiatric Inpatient Nursing Staff
Year published: 2018
Author(s): Tobiano, G., Whitty, J. A., Bucknall, T., & Chaboyer, W.
Journal: Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing
Title of article). Nurses’ perceived barriers to bedside handover and their implication for clinical practice
Year published: 2017
Author(s): Bressan, V., Cadorin, L., Pellegrinet, D., Bulfone, G., Stevanin, S., & Palese, A.
Journal: Journal of Nursing Management
Title of article: Bedside shift handover implementation quantitative evidence: Findings from a scoping review.
Year published: 2019
Author(s): Walsh, J., Messmer, P. R., Hetzler, K., O’Brien, D. J., & Winningham, B. A.
Journal: Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing,
Title of article: Standardizing the Bedside Report to Promote Nurse Accountability and Work effectiveness
Author(s): Christine Wollenhaup, Eleanor Stevenson, Julie Thompson, Helen Gordon, & Gloria Nunn
Journal: Journal of Nursing Administration
Title: Implementation of a modified bedside handoff for a postpartum unit
Author(s): Schirm, V., Banz, G., Swartz, C., & Richmond, M.
Journal: Applied Nursing Research
Title: Evaluation of bedside shift report: A research and evidence-based practice initiative.
Doi: https://doi-org.chamberlainuniversity.doi: 2017.12.004
Author: Forde, M. F., Coffey, A., & Hegarty, J.
Journal: Journal of Nursing Management
Title: The factors to be considered when evaluating bedside handover
For the Following Sentences:
· Complete the following in-text and parenthetical citations correctly citing the sources indicated from alphabetized APA-STYLE REFERENCE PAGE YOU CREATED.
· Do NOT change the contents of the original sentences. (FYI: BSR=Bedside Report)
· Carefully follow APA rules for in-text citations (6 points each).
1. Standardization of handoff practices with a consistent communication framework across the organization can improve the effectiveness of nursing handoff, increase nurse satisfaction, and improve safety of both staff and patients. (Cite source 1 for the first time )
2. “Nurses’ perceptions revealed agreement with the effectiveness, efficiency, helpfulness, accountability, professionalism, patient involvement, safety, and plan of care information” (Cite source 4 for the first time, p. 22)
3. Many studies explored nurse perception of communication pre-and post-implementation of BSR utilizing a variety of reliable survey tools. (Cite source 4 for the second time)
4. According to ______________, this standardized form will help to track progress and observations.Continual feedback and monitoring to make sure behaviors become natural and bedside shift report is implemented consistently is recommended in the literature. (Cite source 1 for the second time)
5. Similarly, the findings of ________________ are consistent with the literature, where patients involved with BSR have improved outcomes. (Cite source 3 for the first time)
6. Effective handoff communication in healthcare is essential for quality patient care. Gaps in handoff communication can cause serious breakdowns in the continuity of care, inappropriate treatment, and patient dissatisfaction___________. (Cite source 6 the first time)
7. Ineffective handoff communication decreases patient safety and satisfaction, nursing satisfaction, which in turn increases costs for healthcare organizations__________. (Cite source 6 for the second time)
8. More specifically, patient participation was noted to hinder effective communication and nurses felt they were not communicating all information to the patient. “Nurses were concerned that increased time was an expected outcome of BSR, thus increasing end of shift hours for nursing” ________. Cite source 5 for the first time, p. 346).
9. The financial benefit of BSR can be attributed to decreased nursing overtime hours and a decrease in patient falls__________. (Cite source 5 for second time)
10. If adopted throughout the psychiatric units, BSR can be incorporated into annual skills competency day for nurses, allowing for refinement and continuous evaluation. Lastly, the literature also supports having BSR educational sessions and training as part of onboarding for new hires. (Cite source 2 for the first time).
11. Communicating these results can be the reinforcement of practicing BSR daily. (Cite source 2 for second time)
APA 7th Edition: Overview of Changes
Based on the new APA Style and Grammar Guidelines
Paper Format Essentials • Font: Recommended fonts include 11-point Calibri, 11-point Arial, and 12-point Times New Roman • Header: For student papers, the page header consists of the page number only. No running head required. • Title page: Include the title, author names, author affiliation, course number and name, instructor name,
assignment due date, and page number
• Sample papers
In-Text Citation Essentials • Number of authors to include: For a work with one or two authors, include the author name(s) in every citation.
For a work with three or more authors, include the name of only the first author plus “et al.” in every citation (even the first citation).
References Page Essentials • Online resources: Include url at the end of the reference; do NOT include “Retrieved from”. • Resource found in a library database (EBSCO, CINAHL, Films on Demand): Do NOT include a database name and
do NOT include a url. Do include a DOI if there is one. • Provide last names and initials for up to and including 20 authors. When there are two to 20 authors, use an
ampersand before the final author’s name. • Publisher location is no longer included in book citations.
Article from a Scholarly Journal
Basic Scholarly Journal Article Format- Author, A. A., Author, B. B., & Author, C. C. (Year). Title of article: Subtitle words. Title of Periodical, volume number(issue
number), pages. https://dx.doi.org/xx.xxx/yyyyy
Example of Scholarly Article with DOI- Nguyen, T. T., Gildengorin, G., & Truong, A. (2007). Factors influencing physicians’ screening behavior for liver cancer
among high-risk patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22(4), 523-6.
Example of Scholarly Article from Library Database with no DOI- Ryan, E., & Redding, R. (2004). A review of mood disorders among juvenile offenders. Psychiatric Services, 55(12), 1397-
Article from a Magazine
Basic Magazine Article Format- Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Year, Month Day). Title of article: Subtitle words. Title of Magazine, volume number(issue
number), pages. DOI
Example of Magazine Article from Library Database with no DOI- Lane, A., & Brody, R. (2019). No laughing matter. New Yorker, 95(41), 65–67.
Example of Magazine Article from Website with DOI- Schaefer, N. K., & Shapiro, B. (2019, September 6). New middle chapter in the story of human
evolution. Science, 365(6457), 981–982. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aay3550
Example of Magazine Article from Website with URL- Hall, M. (2017, March). The faces of Obamacare. Texas Monthly, 45(3), 116-197.
Document or Page on a Government or Organization Web Site: With Individual Author
Basic Format- Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Date published or updated). Title of report or document: Subtitle of report. Organization
Example- Granath, B. (2016, April 22). Astronaut photography from space helped “discover the Earth”. NASA.
Document or Page on a Government or Organization Web Site: No Individual Author
Basic Format- Government agency or organization name. (Date published or updated). Title of document: Subtitle of document.
Publisher if different from group author. http://someurl
Example from a Professional Organization Web Site- American Nurses Association. (2017). Sharps injury prevention. https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/work-
Format for Government Document (Government Agency as Group Author)- When numerous layers of government agencies are listed as the author of a work, use the most specific agency as the author in the reference. The names of parent agencies appear after the title as the publisher.https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/references/elements-list-entry#groupname
Examples of Government Documents- Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention. (2019, January 8). Heart failure fact sheet. U.S. Department of Health
& Human Services, Centers for Disease
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. (2016, December). Cardiac rehabilitation. U.S. Department of Health & Human
Services, National Institutes of Health. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/cardiac-rehabilitation
Basic Formats – Author, A. A. (Year of publication). Title of work: Capital letter also for subtitle. Publisher Name.
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Year of publication). Title of chapter. In A. A. Editor & B. B. Editor (Eds.), Title of
book (pages of chapter). Publisher Name.
Print Book Examples- Bonilla-Silva, E. (2017). Racism without the racists: Color-blind racism and the persistence of racial inequality in America.
Rowman & Littlefield.
Olsen, Y., & Sharfstein, J.M. (2019). The opioid epidemic: What everyone needs to know. Oxford University Press.
Chapter in a Book Example- Kindler, L.L., & Polomano, R.C. (2017). Pain. In S.L. Lewis, S.R. Dirksen, M.M. Heitkemper, & L. Bucher (Eds.), Medical-
surgical nursing (10th ed., pp. 114-139). Elsevier.
Edited Book Example- Pedersen, P.B., Lonner, W.J., Draguns, J.G., Trimble, J.E., & Scharrón-del Río, M.R. (Eds.). (2016). Counseling across
cultures (7th ed.). Sage.
If the book comes from a Library database, end the reference after the publisher name.
Goodwin, G., & Sachs, G. (2010). Fast facts: Bipolar disorder. Health Press.
1. Contact Julie Chapman: firstname.lastname@example.org, 920-498-5490 2. Call the Library: 920-498-5493. 3. Go to the library’s webpage and click on Ask a Librarian. Search for an answer, email your question, or start a live chat during Library hours. 4. Text a librarian at 920-288-2ASK (920-288-2275) during Library hours. 5. Stop by the Library Desk!mailto:email@example.com://www.nwtc.edu/services/library/Pages/Ask.aspx