How do we increase the efficiency of the healthcare system?
- How would you as a healthcare executive or policymaker increase the efficiency of the U.S. healthcare system?
To answer this question, consider that there are reasons for the current high U.S. healthcare expenditures:
- The USA does not regulate the price for healthcare services – using, in most cases, a free-market approach to determine prices.
- The demographics of the U.S. population is skewed towards the elderly and age and cost increase together.
- The U.S. population as a whole is a nation of people with multiple chronic diseases like HTN and DM and obesity. The consequences of several lifestyle choices contribute to the high cost of chronic care.
- The U.S. healthcare system does not seem to work as well as other healthcare systems in the world.
- How are efficiency and effectiveness related? Can you have both?
Make sure to provide credible evidence to support your ideas.